Notices

Calcium

Old 11-21-2011, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calcium

So I've noticed that I'm consistently low on calcium and I was wondering if you have some advice on getting my 100%! (I don't like milk/soy/tofu )
Old 11-21-2011, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Fit4meee
So I've noticed that I'm consistently low on calcium and I was wondering if you have some advice on getting my 100%! (I don't like milk/soy/tofu )

I get most of my calcium by eating 12 ounces of low fat yogurt every day. There are studies that show that eating yogurt for breakfast is a great way to lose weight/maintain weight loss. Plus it's just a really healthy food.

What I don't get in my diet, I take a calcium supplement every day. Calcium Citrate, which is very bioavailable. Calcium is better absorbed when it's combined with Vitamin D, so look for them together.

By taking a supplement you're not overdoing the dairy products, which I have read can cause congestion, plus they are just added calories.

Studies are inconclusive, but there appears to be a correlation between calcium and weight loss. So definitely get your calcium, and don't be afraid to take a little more than the RDA. But too much can be bad, just like overdoing anything.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Fit4meee
Yikes, that seems to eliminate lots of sources, I eat quite a lot of greek yogurt, seems to be my primary food source.

At least take a hardcore calcium supplement. I've been on depo-provera for a long time, and on top of always having had bird bones, I don't screw around- I take a liquid supplement that also contains zinc and magnesium (and a seperate vitamin D supplement)- all of which are vital to absorbing it properly.

Oh, and this is weird, but canned fish! Once in a while I buy canned salmon, and it is a random great source of calcium because due to the canning process, the bones are kept in the fish, but are so soft they're undetectable, you just eat it along with the fish and don't notice.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the tips! I don't mind greek yogurt, so I'll try eating some more of that. Even though its almost 5$ for a small container . Leskats, I looked into what you said and found out a can of sardines will give me about 20% of my daily calcium! Not to mention they're a great source of protein. I'll attempt getting at least 80% "the natural way" my mom is against supplements for some reason so wish me luck lol
Old 11-30-2011, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Spinach is a commonly overlooked source of dietary calcium. I prefer a spinach base versus lettuce whenever I eat salads.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

Can you find a new store? Here in the metro Boston area, we routinely pay 5/$5 or 10/$10 for Chobani and a couple other brands. Each cup is 6 oz. I do the canned salmon/sardines too.
Pete
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

With the greek yogurt, cottage cheese, low fat cheese, spinach, and fish (+ whole sesame seeds) I've been doing well Great suggestions
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I have also added calcium chews. They add a little chocalatty treat kind of like a tootsie roll. 2 chews and you get most of your daily need.