View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #129 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystars View Post
To be truly Paleo wouldn't you need to eat game as your meat source and wild-harvest your fruits and vegetables (eat cattails instead of potatoes, for example).
The goal is health improvement, not re-enactment. I eat primally because I feel more energized and stronger when I'm on it. I'm eating the best I can with the food that's available to me. If that means grass-fed beef from the supermarket, organic fruits and vegetables, and occasional full-fat dairy then I'm doing a pretty good job. Add to that a few trips per year to a pick-your-own farm and now I'm getting involved in my own food sourcing. Not bad!

Also keep in mind that there is no one "paleo" diet. It's preposterous to think that our globally distributed ancestors all ate the same stuff. The keys are no processed foods, highly limited grains or none (try plucking wheat off a stalk and see how much you can eat, even modestly prepared), and minimal added sugar. Then you still have free reign to experiment with high/low carb, high/low fat, high/low protein, according to what your body thrives on. Don't be afraid to self-experiment. By the time the nutritional authorities come around to validating the success people have had with this approach, we'll all have passed on.

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).

Last edited by tandoorichicken; 11-30-2011 at 09:24 PM.
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote