Notices

Macronutrient breakdown

Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Macronutrient breakdown

This is the first time I've seen a solid breakdown of my macronutrients. What is the normal range for people? What kind of %s do you guys have? Have you found that your weight loss changes with changes in macronutrient %s? I can't tell if mine is good, bad, or merely interesting.

Also, I'd be interested if there are any vegans or near-vegans on the board, what their % breakdown looks like.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:16 PM
FitDay Member

It seems most people on here keep a 30-30-40 (protein, fat, carbs) ratio. I started out with having about 55% carbs but found that since i upped my protein (to 25%, still need to get to that 30%!) i tend to stay fuller longer and require less food to feel satisfied.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Interesting- my carbs are around 55%, and I wasn't sure if that was too excessive or not, but I just started a workout routine so maybe my body feels like it needs them right now. I have about 15% protein and about 30% fat. All of my fats are generally good fats- olive oils, eggs, etc. but I guess when you're aiming for about 1200 calories a day, even those fats add up to a large % of your caloric intake.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:13 AM
FitDay Member

It sounds like your ratios are good for what you are doing i.e. exercising with cardio.

Check this out:

"That translates to about 60 percent of your calories coming from carbohydrates, 25 percent from fat, and 15 percent from protein."
Above quote from "The Runner's Diet" Cool Running | The Runner's Diet

The question is, how much protein is enough? I think that depends on how much one is breaking down their muscles during exercise, so it really depends. I think the 15% figure quoted above is a little low, but I realize that getting 30% (which I had been trying to get) is probably too high. So, 20-25% protein for me seems to be what I've settled on.

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-28-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the info!

I need to work on protein as well- I try to eat vegan (I don't eat dairy products and try not to eat too much meat), and normally I'm good about getting sufficient amounts of protein. But I've been so busy the past month or so, that I haven't been paying that much attention to diversity in my diet and I've been eating pretty un-diverse foods and I'm not getting enough protein. Added getting more protein to my to do list in the future :-)
Old 12-05-2011, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lisssssa
Interesting- my carbs are around 55%, and I wasn't sure if that was too excessive or not, but I just started a workout routine so maybe my body feels like it needs them right now. I have about 15% protein and about 30% fat. All of my fats are generally good fats- olive oils, eggs, etc. but I guess when you're aiming for about 1200 calories a day, even those fats add up to a large % of your caloric intake.
I'm about where you are with this, only my proteins are about 19-25 on any given day... and I try to keep my carbs right around 50.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation bigongit

How do you figure out what percentage or grams of food types are important to eat every day in stead of just counting calories consumed? If I want to eat a balanced nutritious diet how much of each major food type should I be eating?