Notices

Why isn't Elliptical an Option?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
FitDay Member

Default Why isn't Elliptical an Option?

I've been a member for a while.

However, I can not fathom as to why elliptical isn't an activity option when everything from "Anishinaabe Jingle Dancing or other traditional American Indian dancing" to "retreat/family reunion activities involving sitting, relaxing, talking, eating" is listed.

Anyone else curious? It's frustrating, when that is a machine that is in every gym and it is also not too expensive to buy for a home gym.

Thanks for reading.

Brooke
Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
FitDay Member

Good question, I was wondering the same myself.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

I use "ski machine"
Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default Elliptical

I third the motion. I thought I was crazy because I couldn't find elliptical on any of the lists. Glad I'm not the only one looking. I looked at ski machine but I definitely burn more calories than the stated.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you for the replies so far.

I also use ski machine, however when all the other crazy exercise options are considered, it just doesn't seem to make any sense not to have elliptical listed.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down

I think I know the answer. It's one of the most used machine's in exercise SO... they included it in their FitDay Premium and PC programs, but not the web so that you'd have to fork over money... simple.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:43 AM
FitDay Member

Count me in, I elliptical every morning for 45-60 minutes. I don't use ski machine I use "running 12 minute mile", unless I go really fast then I use "running 9 or 10 minute mile". The calories it generates sort of line up with what the machine says. Yeah, I hate to say it but it smells like a way to make you pay to me as well.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy I have the same issue

I agree with what was said. My machine is not a great one and the calorie count is probably off (does not even ask for my weight). So I thought this program would help (NOT). I run 45 to 60 min with a 5 min cool down 5 days a week. I set the resistance to 5 and push it to 6 or 7 for the last minute of each 5 min period and do about 65 RPMs. I used the 10 min/mile formula but that said 600 and some calories, my machine said 1322. BIG DIFFERENCE!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default I now use 5.5 Min miles

I have not run that fast since high school, but the calorie count is only 100 less than what my machine says it is, so it is probably closer than the 10 min mile I was using. What ever the case may be, I have lost 6lbs in two weeks because of this web page, so I'm happy!

I think maybe the reason why the elliptical is not on here is because there are so many variation. It really does depend on your RPMs and the resistance settings you use as to how many calories you burn. So a blanket calorie count for number of minutes using just would not work. (IMHO).
Old 03-26-2010, 03:33 AM
FitDay Member

I use the "stationary bike" options and try to find the ones that most closely reflect the calorie burn for the program I am on. The intervals program on the ellipticals at my gym (at level 10 of 25) has a calorie burn of ~730 calories per hour so about 12 calories per minute. That is about the same as the "stationary bike: vigorous effort" option.

I guess if you know the wattage of the excercise and your weight you could work out the calorie burn... I might look that up...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.