Notices

I am and always will be a sugar addict-support

Old 11-23-2011, 02:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default I am and always will be a sugar addict-support

I have always known that I’m addicted to sugar but I really noticed it over a year ago when I started working with a nutritionist and started logging EVERYTHING that I ate in fit day. From October 2010 to June 2011 I lost 40 lbs! ...But then I fell of the wagon, by gorging on sugar and eating sugar when no one was looking, and gained 20 pounds back. Now I have made the decision mentally to try again-to kick the habit, to give it up for good. Oh it’s soooo hard. My diet (no, it’s a lifestyle) is sugar and gluten free (with just the tiniest bits of maple sugar once a week) and full of protein, veggies, and healthy fat. It is so so hard. It’s worse then giving up smoking and I’m sure just as hard as giving up some other addictions. I’m taking L-Glutamine to help me get over this first week (well maybe two) but I need some support from fellow Sugar Addicts. I know there are so many of you out there-tell me your story. What helped, what didn’t. Have any of your tried psychological help-because we know the issue runs deeper than just...it tastes good. Let me know, I’d love to hear from you.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:03 AM
FitDay Member

I know that some people have a big problem with these on this board but the only way I can get around sugar cravings is to eat artificial sweeteners. Splenda, sweet and low, whatever... it means you can eat sweet things. Also you can get some real sugar sometimes if you eat sweet fruits because it already has natural sugars in them.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:11 AM
FitDay Premium Member

A sugar binge derailed my weight loss back in '01. Not going to happen this time. I have taken a Zero Tolerance stance on candy, dessert items, baked goods and the like. I just simply refuse them. I also limit simple sugars in my food as much as possible but it's really the sweets that set me off. I recall too well those pint of Ben and Jerry's followed by a few candy bars sugar highs. That pulse pounding, blood rushing feeling was good and bad--sort of like I imagine a shot of Heroin might be.

Anyway, for me, all that stuff is best avoided.

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-24-2011, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

Since I've been eating clean my sugar craving has become non existent. I used to be a hard core cookie monster. I could demolish a few pounds of Oreo's in a few weeks.

When I first started eating clean I eliminated all sweets from my diet, except for 1 or 2 Werther's hard candy per day. Eventually I stopped eating the Werther's as a treat. Why? I forgot about them. Literally. I've still got a bag in my home that I haven't touched in months. I've got a few kisses in my refrigerator that I found in a cabinet a few weeks back. They are still sitting there, untouched. I thought I might treat myself to 1 or 2 today since it's Thanksgiving. But I realize that putting crap into my body is no way to give thanks to your health. Perhaps today is the day to toss them in the trash as a symbolic gesture.

So for the first time in my life I've got both my body and my head in the game at the same time. I'm not going to letup and inch and I'm going to continue to WIN.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Vito, you've got Tiger's blood coursing through your veins, keep WINNING! Ha ha, that is just so great. I've got the eating more-or-less under control, but the exercise part, eh, not so much.

I do agree that the sugar cravings subside, though there are still things (fresh cinnamon buns) that bring back that old urge to plow right into them and not quit until it feels like your head is going to explode.

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-24-2011, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Winning!

Old 11-25-2011, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Zero tolerance

Wow! I have to admit it’s so good to hear that you have all had the addiction BUT that you have overcome it. I’m afraid that mine is so bad I am not even eating fruits (all but green apples on a limited basis) and definitely NO artificial sweeteners for me the aspartame is a carcinogen and gives me such bad headaches. I am also wishing, hoping and dreaming that I will no longer crave the sugar (it is mind over matter) but I’m not their yet. As I mentioned in my first post, I use maple syrup (only on a limited basis) and I’m almost worried that I’m going to over use it! It’s so nice to have a supportive family that doesn’t rub the candy bars and cookies in front of your face-but when idle it’s instantaneous for the mind to persuade you go get something sweet and gorge!!! Ah, I hate to even write that I’m not strong enough to get over or control my urges. I love the Werther’s idea-but again, it’s scary because if I’m given an inch I’ll take a mile. Yes, I think zero tolerance is the way to go. Like alcohol addiction it’s stay dry right? Are we really in that same category?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

I am also a sugar addict and am now on Day 8 without any sugar in my diet at all. I have also eliminated white flour. I simply could not have a small dose of sugar to satisfy a craving because that would most definitely trigger a binge for me, so I don't use honey or maple syrup either because they affect my blood sugar the exact same way sugar does. I flavor my oatmeal with natural applesauce, cinnamom, pure vanilla extract and a few fruit-juice sweetened cranberries. This first week has not been easy but I feel the cravings just disappearing more and more every day.

I don't use artificial sweeteners either. Lucky for me, I actually hate the way they taste!

Good luck to everyone who is kicking the sugar habit! Michael and Vito you guys are inspirational!