Notices

Holy crackers batman!!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Holy crackers batman!!!!

so, i knew i was a carb addict. and that the carbs are most likely what got me in this problem in the first place. Im new and i have been logging my food for only 2 days now, and let me tell you, acourding to the little pie chart thingy, i eat only carbs and fat ! i really dont know where to even start here any advise?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome, mgonzales! I know what you mean, tracking can be a real wake up call. To get protein (and I'm lazy and don't love to cook) I go for things like string cheese, HB eggs, and turkey lunch meat. Gorton's has some pre-seasoned fish you can just toss in the oven - only 80 calories in a serving of tilapia, 100 calories in the salmon. Peanut butter is great too, although of course you still have to watch the fat content. But my number one go to protein thing is 0% Greek yogurt! I eat it every morning for breakfast with some sliced fruit - it's got no fat (obviously, 'cause it's 0%), very few grams of carbs, and lots of protein.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 PM
FitDay Member

i have a problem with the peanut butter...*blushes* its one of my weaknesses. i start with one spoon then before u know it, i have the jar in front of me and who knows how many spoons are gone.lol. the greek yogurt is a good idea. i know people that swear by it. my usual breakfast is 2 packets of quaker instant oatmeal. i thought i was being good with the calorie count being so low (i was trying to go for a 500 500 500 calorie count for meals). i wasnt even thinking of the carb count. dangit... this is gonna be harder than i thought.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 PM
FitDay Member

Yeah, there's a lot to learn, but I've found that I pick it up as I go along. When I first started, I didn't pay too much attention to the details of the pie chart and nutrition chart and whatnot, 'cause it was all I could do to limit my calories. Now that I'm getting the hang of that, I'm thinking more about balancing the chart and such. My big thing is that I didn't want to overwhelm myself so that I just ended up giving up 'cause I put to much pressure on myself. You'll figure out what works for you!

BTW, we have a 7-day motivational thread over in the women's only corner (it doesn't matter if you're a guy or girl, we accept all kinds ) if you want to jump into a support group kind of thread - we all just keep each other going, help each other through the rough spots, etc.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

thank you!! imma head over there now and check it out
Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, mgonzales, and welcome to FitDay!

Yup, tracking foods is a real wakeup call. I think this is a universal fact here.

Anyway, you should be able to find some good tips here on how to increase your protein, along of course with the advice you've already gotten and will continue to get:

FitDay Discussion Boards - Threads Tagged with protein sources

Many of us do protein smoothies. You'll start to love them, I'm sure.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

thank you Vito! i will look at the threads you suggested and will look into these protein smoothies. i have always been lead to believe that we shouldnt "drink our calories". does this pertain to these? and do you use them INSTEAD of a meal or WITH your meal? or as a "snack"? im very interested in learning
Old 11-23-2011, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mgonzales74
thank you Vito! i will look at the threads you suggested and will look into these protein smoothies. i have always been lead to believe that we shouldnt "drink our calories". does this pertain to these? and do you use them INSTEAD of a meal or WITH your meal? or as a "snack"? im very interested in learning
Great question. I don't consider a smoothie a meal substitute. It's more like an in between snack, a pre-meal, or a post workout recovery drink. I try to limit my smoothies to no more than 300 calories with the whey powder, banana, strawberries, and green tea combined.

It's true about not "drinking your calories" but I think that caveat is really for warning people about the pitfalls of exclusively juicing your way to weight loss.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

nice. ok then, i will look into them. ive never had a protein shake/smoothie. i always shyed away from them because i thought they were for people who were trying to actually GAIN weight. but if the protein is helping with the rest of the cravings and the hunger factor im all in is there a place here that has good recipes for them?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM
FitDay Member

Protein is protein and you're not going to bulk up unless you're doing weight lifting. Supplementing with protein (getting enough) as well as getting more fiber in your diet are the two best things you can do to keep hunger at bay as you cut your calories.

Here's a link with lots of good suggestions for shakes:

FitDay Discussion Boards - Threads Tagged with protein shake

[EDIT] Just don't overdo the amount of protein. Excess protein is stored as fat. You can safely do .5 grams per lean body mass. Find your lean body mass here:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-23-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.