Notices

How to Tweak Your Custom Food for Vitamins and Minerals

Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb How to Tweak Your Custom Food for Vitamins and Minerals

Have you ever wanted to make a custom food and just knew for sure something was wrong with the Nutrition Facts they provided on the package? For example, I'm 100% sure that there is magnesium in 100% whole wheat bread. Yet the store bought brand does not list it. What to do?

Let's use whole wheat bread as the example as we create this custom food.

Step 1: When I look on the package of bread, it states that 1 slice is 110 calories for 47 grams. This is the main thing I look at to gauge the estimated nutrient values I will plug into this custom food later on.

Create a custom food in your food journal and name the "1 serving" default. List all of the nutrition information provided to you in the Nutrition Facts about the food.

Step 2: In another tab or new browser screen, search for "whole wheat bread" in the FitDay database of foods. When it comes up, it lists the calories of 1 regular slice of bread as 68.9 calories instead of the 110 calories for our custom bread. Change the pulldown menu to read grams instead of slices.

Step 3: This is where it gets a bit challenging, but it's really easy. Now plug in a number for FD whole wheat bread and hit "Recalculate". It makes sense to start with "47" since our custom bread is measured in 47 gram slices. Do the calories in the recalculated bread come out to 110 calories (the SAME value as our custom bread, and this is the point here)?? If not, keep playing with the numbers, recalculating, until the grams entered for the FD bread comes out to be close if not equal to the custom bread (110 cals). For this exercise, the number that achieves this is 41.5 grams.

FitDay whole wheat bread

Step 4: Now look at the vitamin and minerals data for the recalculated FD bread. Notice it lists Magnesium at 5%? But our store bought bread did not list anything for Mg. So now go back to our custom bread in Step 1 and add all the vitamins and mineral percentages into the custom food that were not provided to you on the package.

If you want to be conservative in these values (always a smart choice), you can look at some of the nutrient values given to you in the Nutrition Facts and compare those to the FD data, and you'll see the will never match exactly. For this exercise, it looks as though my store bought bread is less nutritious than the FD bread (using calcium and iron as examples), so I am going to "guesstimate" and reduce all of the percentages that I plug into my final custom food.

Here's what it looks like when finished:

Custom whole wheat bread

For comparison, the nutrients provided in the Nutrition Facts for the store bread were: Sodium (210), Total Fat (1), Total Carb (22), Fiber (3), Protein (5), Calcium (2), Iron (6), Thiamin (4), Riboflavin (2), Niacin (8)
Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks again, Vito, very useful "how to".
Pete
Old 10-02-2023, 07:47 PM
FitDay Member

I am sure that optimizing the nutritional content of custom foods is indeed beneficial for a balanced diet. When focusing on enhancing vitamins and minerals, it's worth checking ingredients and products that are both high in nutrition and flavor. Additionally, incorporating gourmet options, like those provided by Truff customer service , can add a touch of luxury to your meals without compromising on health. Balancing taste and nutrition is key to maintaining a sustainable and enjoyable diet.

Last edited by leowhite; 10-05-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 12:14 AM
FitDay Member

Tweaking your custom diet to ensure you're getting a balance of vitamins and minerals requires careful consideration and planning. Here are some steps to help you achieve this:
  1. Identify Your Nutrient Needs:
    • Determine which vitamins and minerals your body needs. The recommended daily allowances (RDAs) or adequate intake (AI) levels can serve as guidelines. These values can be found on various health websites or consult with a registered dietitian for personalized guidance.
  2. Assess Your Current Diet:
    • Keep a food journal or use a nutrition tracking app to record your current dietary habits. This will give you a clear picture of what you're consuming.
  3. Understand Food Sources:
    • Learn about which foods are rich sources of specific vitamins and minerals. For example, citrus fruits are high in vitamin C, while dairy products are rich in calcium.
  4. Plan Balanced Meals:
    • Create well-rounded meals that include a variety of food groups. For example, a balanced plate might include lean protein, whole grains, and plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables.
  5. Consider Supplementation:
    • If it's challenging to meet your nutrient needs through diet alone, you may need to consider vitamin and mineral supplements. Consult with a healthcare professional before starting any supplementation to avoid overdosing on certain nutrients.
  6. Choose Nutrient-Dense Foods:
    • Opt for foods that provide a high concentration of nutrients without excessive calories. Vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and whole grains are typically nutrient-dense choices.
  7. Variety is Key:
    • Eating a variety of foods ensures you get a broad spectrum of nutrients. Different foods contain different vitamins and minerals, so mixing up your diet is crucial.
  8. Pay Attention to Cooking Methods:
    • Cooking can affect the nutrient content of food. For example, boiling vegetables may cause nutrient loss, so consider steaming or microwaving for a shorter cooking time.
  9. Limit Processed Foods:
    • Many processed foods are stripped of their nutrients during manufacturing. Reducing your consumption of these foods can help you obtain more nutrients from whole, unprocessed foods.
  10. Incorporate Fortified Foods:
    • Some foods are fortified with specific vitamins and minerals. For instance, certain breakfast cereals are fortified with essential vitamins. Check food labels for these options.
  11. Stay Hydrated:
    • Proper hydration is crucial for nutrient absorption. Drinking an adequate amount of water can help your body absorb and utilize the vitamins and minerals from your food.
  12. Consult a Registered Dietitian:
    • A registered dietitian can create a customized nutrition plan to meet your specific vitamin and mineral needs. They can also help you track your progress and make adjustments as necessary.
Remember that individual nutrient needs can vary based on factors like age, gender, activity level, and health status. It's a good idea to consult a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian for personalized guidance on how to tweak your diet to meet your specific nutrient requirements.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:22 AM
FitDay Member

nice
Old 02-24-2024, 09:09 AM
FitDay Member

I could not reach the results for a long time without understanding what was happening. My results were several times worse than those of my friends, with whom I started going to the gym together. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my approach to training or nutrition. As it turned out, they owe all their results to the growth hormone zptropin . This natural product helps to increase endurance, speed up metabolism and lose fat tissue. I was impressed, but decided to try it too.

Last edited by Sam987; 03-14-2024 at 02:19 AM. Reason: added some details