Notices

If a fat person calls you fat

Old 11-19-2011, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default If a fat person calls you fat

I had someone who was heavier than me call me fat.

I wish I would have thought about this at the time, but she was about to leave the job we were at and I wish I would have told her

"Well I guess we're in the same boat, one of us better get out of it so it doesn't sink!"

Just an idea that some of you may be able to use if you face a similar situation.

My real life reaction was just to look at her as if it was obvious she was fat too.

Later on a coworker said to me "She called you fat?" lol
Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

For me personally, the only person who can call me fat is, well, ME. It's rude for ANY other person to call me fat. That's just my opinion.

There is a running joke with me and a couple of my cousins of being a "fat kid" but it has nothing to do with a person's physical size. It refers to their eating habits at one specific time and place. An example of this is one of the cousins' fiance is by NO means a large man, but he eats like a horse....so he's commonly referred to as the "fat kid" at the table, or when someone asks for more food the common reply is 'alright fat kid, slow down'. I'm not really sure where it came from, it's probably that one of us said it once and it stuck.

One thing that bothers me is when I mention being fat and a thin person says "oh you're not fat". Um, yeah, I am. Does the thin person really think that if they tell me that I'm not, that I'll believe it?

Last edited by ToriD1012; 11-20-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 PM
FitDay Member

I had a similar thing happen to me at a consignment shop. I wanted to try on a dress that was on display in their window and the sales lady says to me, "oh honey that's not going to fit you, it doesn't even fit me". Excuse me? I'm easily 2-3 dress sizes smaller than her. After she tried to sell me several different outfits that were hideous, I made her undress the window display anyway. And what do you know, it fit like a glove, so I waltzed out of the dressing room made a big deal out of looking at my backside in the mirror, and then carelessly tossed it on the chair in the dressing room and said "Um, no, it's just not hot enough for this party I'm going to". The nerve of some sales ladies.

Is there any chance you can get her to stand next to you facing a full length mirror?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 AM
FitDay Member

That is just really rude. I honestly don't know if I could hold my comment for something like that. It isn't my place or anyone else's to pass judgement on someone else's body condition. Whether they are fat or skinny it doesn't give me the right to tell them about it. .... Unless of course they ask my opinion.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Can I chime in?

I'd be polite and simply ask them "When was the last time you've had your ass kicked by someone fat like me?" Then I'd stand there and wait for an answer. Chances are they won't know what to say, but what they say will determine my next move.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM
FitDay Member

The only time I have actually been called fat by another fat person was years ago when I was about 65-70 lbs thinner than I am now. A friend and I had went to a hockey game and a guy behind us was being REALLY obnoxious. He had nothing to say about the actual game, but had LOTS to say about anyone that wasn't of his racial background. He would randomly tell his friend 'If you give me five bucks, I bet I can start something with that guy.' We tried to take the high road but it got to the point that we went and reported him to customer relations. While my friend was filling out the paperwork, I had the task of showing security where the guy was sitting. As I was pointing him out, his friend was walking up the steps to the concourse and shouted back, "Hey, the fat girls told on you!" And being as short tempered as I am, I almost lost it. The guy easily had 150 lbs on me and all I really remember coming out of my mouth was "Really??? You're calling ME fat???? Have you looked in the mirror?????".....as the cop was holding me back. The police officer had to quietly remind me that I didn't need to end up in jail over some loud mouth jackass. It's probably the closest I've ever come to actually punching someone. Not one of my finer moments, I'm usually more dignified while in public. All it took was a couple of beers and a moron, and I forgot all my manners
Old 11-22-2011, 04:39 AM
FitDay Member

I remember one day a girl who I used to work with came to me in tears. She had a baby about 5 months before and someone asked her when the next one was due. She still had a lot of baby belly left. I told her that she should have said..."I might be fat but my hubby still sleeps with me every night. How about you?" ... Well, I used a little harsher language. It brightened her mood anyway.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
I remember one day a girl who I used to work with came to me in tears. She had a baby about 5 months before and someone asked her when the next one was due. She still had a lot of baby belly left. I told her that she should have said..."I might be fat but my hubby still sleeps with me every night. How about you?" ... Well, I used a little harsher language. It brightened her mood anyway.
I once saw a guy at Cedar Point (amusement park), he was really quite large and wearing a shirt that said "I might be fat, but you're ugly and I can go on a diet". If you made a similar shirt for your friend it would be a little x-rated but funny as hell.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I had a similar thing happen to me at a consignment shop. I wanted to try on a dress that was on display in their window and the sales lady says to me, "oh honey that's not going to fit you, it doesn't even fit me". Excuse me? I'm easily 2-3 dress sizes smaller than her. After she tried to sell me several different outfits that were hideous, I made her undress the window display anyway. And what do you know, it fit like a glove, so I waltzed out of the dressing room made a big deal out of looking at my backside in the mirror, and then carelessly tossed it on the chair in the dressing room and said "Um, no, it's just not hot enough for this party I'm going to". The nerve of some sales ladies.

Is there any chance you can get her to stand next to you facing a full length mirror?
Great response.

And no thankfully she moved to another state so I don't have to work with her anymore.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:34 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
That is just really rude. I honestly don't know if I could hold my comment for something like that. It isn't my place or anyone else's to pass judgement on someone else's body condition. Whether they are fat or skinny it doesn't give me the right to tell them about it. .... Unless of course they ask my opinion.
Right I agree with you!

Originally Posted by ToriD1012
For me personally, the only person who can call me fat is, well, ME. It's rude for ANY other person to call me fat. That's just my opinion.
Well maybe it would be ok from a doctor.

Originally Posted by ToriD1012
One thing that bothers me is when I mention being fat and a thin person says "oh you're not fat". Um, yeah, I am. Does the thin person really think that if they tell me that I'm not, that I'll believe it?
I get what you're saying. I wish people didn't notice so much either way.

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Can I chime in?

I'd be polite and simply ask them "When was the last time you've had your ass kicked by someone fat like me?" Then I'd stand there and wait for an answer. Chances are they won't know what to say, but what they say will determine my next move.
Love that They were meaner than me though. I don't think I'm a very good fighter but that is a great response if someone can back it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.