Notices

When is the right time to buy new clothes?

Old 11-21-2011, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default When is the right time to buy new clothes?

i'm just wondering one what you think it's time to buy new clothes while losing weight.

i know i here the whole throw away your fat clothes but when is it the right time to go that size smaller?

also i'm a college student so i have a tight budget and can't buy a bunch of new cloths every month.

so would it be when your jeans need a belt to be held on anymore. or is it a good idea to go to a clothes store and try on a pair of pants a size smaller to see if it fits you?

just looking for some tips on this snice i don't have the money to quickly change my wardrobe.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Yuna,

I bought some new clothes when I hit about half of my goal - at that point, my jeans were saggy and lifeless and my shirts hung like sacks, and it just made me FEEL fat and ugly. I didn't go crazy buying new clothes (I bought 2 pairs of jeans in my new size) and a handful of nicer tops. I also bought clothing on sale/discount. These are "transition clothes" and a little retail therapy to make me feel good about losing weight.

I try on clothes in new sizes all the time just to see how I'm doing. It's a great affirmation that's different than what the scale says.

Once I hit my maintenance/"forever" size (which I'm hoping is a 6-8) I'll probably buy new clothes slowly and steadily. I fully think, though, that if you've lost a good amount of weight and your clothes just look bad, go ahead and buy a few things on sale to show off your changing body. I noticed that once I bought new clothes I instantly got a lot more comments about my weight loss (which had been hidden by baggy shirts and jeans), and that felt good too!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

When I was still losing, I bought new clothes when I started looking stupid in my old clothes, then I got the new ones a little snug. Oh wait I still look stupid in my clothes.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I agree... few things will feel better than a new pair of pants at a size or 2 smaller, and a stylish top or 2.

I, personally, don't recommend buy anything that doesn't fit right now. I know the temptation to buy something too small to use it as a goal, but the couple of times I've tried this I found that while I could fit into the pants, they didn't really look that good. I guess I just didn't lose the fat evenly so even though the size was right, the cut just didn't quite suit my new body.

Many of the tops I bought at my intermediate size still look fine now, so investing in a couple now will probably last longer than the pants. I also agree with Terri, don't go crazy, but a pair or 2 or classic trousers/jeans would be a nice reward for your hard work.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Yunalee, you could try Goodwill or consignment places or thrift shops. Buy what's in your size now for a very low price, then when it doesn't fit you, turn it back in and get something smaller.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
FitDay Member

I second the suggestion of goodwill or a thrift shop. I just dropped off a bunch of too large clothes. You could donate at the same time.

You can find some good items - and for me finding things that are already shortened is a bonus.

I stop wearing the old ones when they start to hang on me. I have also found that the longer jackets I used to like don't work anymore.

Check how the clothes look and feel as your shape changes. I have some that still fit but don"t look right because of changes to my body.

Mary
Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I'm glad you 2 mentioned thrift shops. I concur. Great way to pickup a few intermediate things while you are still on the way to your goal.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for the feedback i'm still just in the plus sizes so it'll be abit harder to find stuff my size

but my jeans don't feel tight anymore and my biggest pair i pretty much have to start holding up again.

hich i can't wait to get some new pairs of jeans snice these one have worn down alot
Old 11-26-2011, 07:04 PM
FitDay Member

I bought two pairs of pants for work and two shirts after losing 70 lbs and I suddenly am getting a lot of compliments. When I'm at home I generally wear my old 'fat clothes'. I climb ladders at work and I was afraid that I would get to the top of the ladder and my pants would fall down! Thankfully that didn't happen! So I had to get some new ones.

I got them a few weeks ago and they're already getting baggy... so I may end up having to buy a couple of more too in a few more weeks.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 PM
FitDay Member

I'm a seamstress, so my definition of fit came into play when I went to clean out the closet. I get rid of jeans that can be pulled on and off, straight out of the dryer, without unbuttoning or unzipping, I call that "the button test". I get rid of shirts that hang straight off the boobs and don't go back in to show off the waist, call that one "the nipple test". If you can hold off for a little while longer there should be some fabulous sales after Christmas.

And while I concur that consignment shops, Goodwill and secondhand places have great prices on things, I have also found that items on deep discount can be had for even better prices sometimes. The local Goodwill sells jeans (in plus sizes too) for $4.99, but I've seen them for $3.49 on a 75% off rack at Kmart, you can also work a coupon deal at Fashion Bug and get them for $5-6. Shirts at Goodwill are $1.99-2.99, but I picked up a couple of new long sleeved shirts at JC Penny's last January for $1.49 each. Watch the sales, and build just a little cushion in the bank account in preparation.