Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/21 Oh Boy, Here Comes Thanksgiving! >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/21 Oh Boy, Here Comes Thanksgiving!

Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/21 Oh Boy, Here Comes Thanksgiving!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default 7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 11/21 Oh Boy, Here Comes Thanksgiving!

Here it is... Thanksgiving week! Hundreds of landmines to maneuver through! Travel, extended family, no time to exercise, Grandma's pumpkin pie...

What will be hardest for you to avoid?? Let's start planning our game plan now!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

I'm in. I want the hardest think to avoid to be this thread.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

Personally, I think I'm in pretty good shape entering this week. Made my turkey yesterday and got that out of my system. Ate too much, but my calories were pretty clean. I'm making brunch on Thanksgiving, so I'll be able to control my calories and food choices pretty easily. I just tell myself to remember... Thanksgiving is one meal... not a week's worth of meals. Same with Christmas. I can do this! lol

Modified Goals for the Week:

1. Maintain calories around 1200 each day, with the exception of Thanksgiving. Allowing myself 2000 Thursday.

2. Drink 90 oz. per day.

3. Watch bread intake.

4. Get plenty of rest.

5. Limit myself to one small piece of pumpkin pie!

6. Take all vitamins and supplements.

Life Stuff:

1. Finish daughter's Christmas shopping. (Buy fridge, place order...)

2. Light fire under said daughter's a** to get scholarship app. filed before Wednesday's deadline. (Told her to get it done for the last 6 days and I'm about to strangle her! I hate working under pressure!!! It should have been done a month ago.

3. Make sure above mentioned daughter places grad announcement order before Tuesday's deadline! Again, should have been done a week ago.

4. Do not maim, scream or otherwise do damage to said daughter for waiting until the last minute to handle very important issues. (I do everything a month early; she slides in 30 seconds before deadlines and laughs about it... can I cry now?)

5. Go to recycling center.

6. Review brunch menu; make sure that I have everything.

7. List something wonderful that happened to me today.

Last edited by quinnesec; 11-21-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quinn, you made you're turkey yesterday? Dang are y'all having tuekey jerky for Thanksgiving?

Thanks for getting us started.

Last week was a flop for me!
January 1st goals: (almost 6 weeks left)
Lose 18.5 pounds (-10% body weight): -4, +1 (-3 so far)
Increase Squat and Deadlifts weight by 10% (without more injuring to my back)
Done Squats:+15% x 10 reps, deep with nice form on 11/8/11
Deads:
Walk 100 miles (this may be a little much, I may have to rethink this goal) 16.5, 7.63 (24.13 so far)
Go to the gym 25 times: 3, 3
1 cheat meal, or snack (not cheat DAY) per week: yes, no

Last Week RECAP:

Health & Fitness
FAIL 1) Lose 4 pounds +1

FAIL 2) 4 servings of fruit/veggies 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, no, no
FAIL 3) Gallon of water yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no
FAIL 4) 3000 calories deficient -680, -897, -30, -547, -105, ?, ?

FAIL 5) Walk 10 miles 1.1, 0, 6.53 Like a big veggie pimpin', cheer leading BOSS, 0, 0, 0, 0 (7.63 total)
FAIL 6) 1 cheat meal ?, ate clean, nope (I think it was worth it), clean, cheat
DONE 7) Gym x 3 0, 1, 0, 1, 1
FAIL 8) Tennis x 2 (or 100 pushups for each one missed) 0, 0, 50 pushups, 32 pushups, 75 pushups (157 so far)
9) Daily:
FAIL a) Fish Oil yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no

FAIL b) Vitamin yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no
FAIL c) Glucosamine yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no

Non Health & Fitness
DONE 10) Write 3 policies 1, 0, 1, 1

This Week:
Health & Fitness
1) Lose 4 pounds
2) 4 servings of fruit/veggies
3) Gallon of water
4) 3000 calories deficient (not including Thanksgiving)
5) Walk 13 miles
6) 1 cheat day (Thanksgiving)
7) Gym x 3
8) 200 pushups
9) Daily:
a) Fish Oil
b) Vitamin
c) Glucosamine

Non Health & Fitness
10) Write 2 policies
Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

"Quinn, you made you're turkey yesterday? Dang are y'all having turkey jerky for Thanksgiving?"

No... My married son has multiple houses to go to for Thanksgiving (His wife comes from a huge family, all local.) Some years I do the whole big dinner thing... some years I have a brunch. This is my year for the brunch, but husband and daughter would cry if they didn't get their turkey. So, I roast a small one the weekend before just for them. I'm actually cooking a ham Thanksgiving morning! LOL

Last edited by quinnesec; 11-21-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

THANK YOU MY LOVELIES

I guess since this is Thanksgiving week I should be giving thanks to everyone here.

I was a little hesitant when I first posted in the 7-Day Motivational Thread. It wasn't because I cared about what y'all were going to think of me... because I didn't (hey that's just how I roll). I didn't want anyone to feel like I was invading in on your private place and you'd no longer be able to talk freely. We all know that me being here hasn't stopped y'all from saying what you wanted to, which is good. As long as I've been in your "corner of the ring" Y'all have really made me feel welcomed to the "Women's Only Corner" but I still feel the need to introduce myself to the noobies, WHICH WE'LL BE FLOODED WITH IN ANOTHER 5 WEEKS!!

Y'all are not only like one big crazy, dysfunctional, obnoxious family; I also consider y'all my friends. Y'all push me every day to do better. Even when I have a bad week like last week, I know that it was me giving in to my "demons", it was I that failed myself, not y'all.

I can honestly say that I think that I've grown to love each and every one of you in some way. The sister that I never wanted or another mother (that's nuttier than my real mother was). So during the time that I've been here I've got to learn about my sister, my other mother... and aunt Flo.

I really do miss y'all when you're not here and I feel bad when I don't address everyone individually.

Just know that I'm in your corner, in more ways than one!

That's it for the mushy shit from me, now get busy loosers!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 11-21-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Nice, Mike! I've only been around here since June, but I still think ya'll (Mike, it's contagious!) are awesome and I wouldn't be as successful as I've been without you.

I'm in for the week in a MAJOR way. I won't post goals but I'll still be honest with how I'm doing.

BTW, IT'S D-DAY FOR THE EPIC HAIR! WOOT! I'm excited.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mike: You are the sweetest thing

Joanna: Woooo can't wait to hear about the hair!!

Quinn: Thanks for getting us started, LOVE the idea of Thanksgiving brunch. I think one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving is leftovers - and that sounds perfect!

I feel good this morning. I think I've finally caught up on sleep, which is a huge help for me. Unfortunately I've gotten into the habit of falling asleep on the couch, waking up 1-2 hours later and stumbling to bed. My neck is not thanking me - we have a really small couch (it's more like a loveseat) and there's really no way to sleep on it comfortably. I also had a very long talk with one of my graduate students on Friday of last week in concerning the drama - had to face up to my own bad behavior in the conversation, and I spent a lot of this weekend thinking about my flaws/bad habits and what I need to do about them.

I think my biggest thing is that I want to be liked and accepted. I often do things I shouldn't do in order for that to happen - I'll tell white lies, or even talk about people behind their backs to others (*not* proud of that particular habit). I also avoid confrontation like the dickens. On the flip side of that coin, though, I'm simply an awkward person. I want to be liked by large groups and yet feel uncomfortable within them, especially if I am the center of attention. I'm not sure how to come to terms with all of these flaws, but I know that it starts by making the largest effort to be myself, and to be kind. At the end of the day, talking behind people's backs, lying, and/or not saying what I mean never help ANYTHING. Being straightforward, kind, and diligent DOES help things. So I'm making a Thanksgiving resolution to do these things.

I think it'll start by cultivating an attitude of gratitude, so I think I will steal quinn's goal of listing something wonderful that happens to me every day.

I also want to say that at this Thanksgiving time, I'm grateful for a lot of things. My life feels in flux and there are things I COULD be stressed about, but I know, and am so grateful, that I can come here and chat every day. I've never been good at making many friends (see above awkwardness), but when I come here I feel like I can be myself, because this is really a judgement-free zone. I don't feel like at any moment you all are going to call me out on being a terrible, stupid person and it allows me to open up. I've moved around a lot and my close friends are all long-distance, and I just can't talk with them every day. But here, I can. And that means more to me than I can articulate. This is more than a group about losing weight or making fitness goals - I feel like this group is all about cheering each other on through life. And that's wonderful. So thank you all, each and every one. <3

So on to goals. Thanksgiving is going to me small, just me and BF this year. We bought a little turkey breast, and we're going to have stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, mashed potatoes and a little pumpkin pie. I've made the conscious decision NOT to log on Thursday and let the chips fall where they may. I'll just make the best choices I can, have only ONE piece of pie, and try to limit my stuffing (even though it's totally my favorite part of thanksgiving - good stuffing, mmmmmm).

Weekly Goals

Food, Exercise, Lifestyle Goals

1) Log food every day except Thursday - achieve a weekly average of 1200-1500 calories (excepting Thursday)
2) Achieve a deficit of 4000-5000 calories (excepting Thursday)
3) Exercise 3-4 times
4) 80 oz. of water daily
5) Multivitamin daily
6) Average weekly protein of 25-30% (except Thursday)
7) Weigh in on Wednesday and post it here, good, bad, or ugly
8) Log sleep nightly

Other Goals

1) Enjoy Thanksgiving and do not feel guilty about a bite!!
2) Make an effort on my appearance daily
3) Skype with family on Thanksgiving - and bug them about doing it!
4) List something wonderful that happened every day
Old 11-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Morning, everyone! I'm in this week. I don't know how it will go; I'm in a house with a ton of temptations, none of my usual go-to foods, and a lot of time in the kitchen preparing yummies. I'm going with some vague goals this week (maybe not a good idea, but I don't want to get too rigid and then fail and then completely throw in the towel!).

1. Post calories and burn more than I eat.
2. Exercise 5 times.
3. Make good choices. 500 calories of cinnamon cake is not equivalent to sliced roasted chicken with veggies on whole grain bread with almonds for a snack.
4. Drink water, drink water, drink water.
5. Take all vitamins and supplements.
6. Do shoulder exercises.
7. Finish report and email it off, so I can really be on vacation .

I'm still afraid to look in the pantry .

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving (here in the US)!

Mike, we love ya like a brother and the site wouldn't be the same without you .

Quinn, no worries on your Thursday calories; I have a feeling you'll burn them off Friday dashing around and hip checking folks, lol. Hardest to avoid? Probably the chocolate pie. And tomorrow I have to make 10 loaves of bread into stuffing, and it's immensely hard not to snitch as I go along.

Joanna, please, please, pics of epic hair! My niece is currently trying to decide what color to put into hers, a streak, all over, underneath; she's got a fuchsia streak now but is leaning toward blue.

Sorry, Terri; you posted as I was typing; didn't mean to not respond. I'm so glad to see you back! Wishing you and your bf a happy, peaceful, delicious Thanksgiving, and hope you can get some well-deserved down time! I'm not logging Thursday, either; it would take freaking forever to load all these recipes in! But I can't take that as a day to gorge, either. You have some very valuable insights; take those and run with 'em!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 11-21-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:33 AM
FitDay Member

Okay I'm in late to the field, but want/need to play anyway. I did not fall completely off the wagon over the weekend, although my cheat meal on Saturday was ugly. Why is it when I have a cheat that my pie instantly goes to 75% carbs and 15% alcohol?

Before my cheat dinner on Saturday night, I had to help the oldest DD start her November reading project, which completely took over Sunday and part of this morning as well. But I have to say that it was the single most enjoyable project she and I have done together. Normally she and I frustrate the crap out of each other. We're both perfectionists in our own way (not the same way of course), we're also both bossy and want/need to be in control, and both of us are stubborn know-it-alls and can't take direction or suggestions from others. Generally when we have to work on things together we're at loggerheads like a pair of longhorn rams. But yesterday I let her be in charge of the whole thing and kept myself from taking over (although the tip of my tongue hurts today), and to keep her chugging along I would say, "okay this and this need to be done, which one do you want to do?". That worked so much better than, "crying out loud, GET THAT DONE NOW!", I might just have to try that approach again . Anyway the end result is just about as cute as it could be, and totally not what I was thinking it would be when we started. DD has good ideas, I just have to loosen up and let her run with them. BTW, I'm normally one of those moms that makes the kids do all of their own homework, but for this project it was okay and even encouraged to get help from a parent. Together we made a doll based on the lead character of a series of books she's been reading. She chose all the fabric, laid out and cut all the pieces, did 90% of the hand sewing and assembly and made all the props, I ran the sewing machine and made snacks and gentle suggestions.

Another thing that kept me off-line was hubby. Saturday night he jumped up out of bed and unloaded the contents of his stomach multiple times, which continued on through part of Sunday as well. So I've been taking care of him, and some of the things he normally deals with. He seems to be keeping food down today, which is good, but he's weak and has to sit down after any little bit of activity. I'm really glad he's starting to feel better. Unfortunately he took this week off to paint the living room and the kitchen, with the way things are going, we'll be fortunate if he can drive into town and pick up the paint before he has to go back to work. Oh well. Hopefully he had food poisoning, and hasn't been contagious! I'm sure the in-laws would love to take that home from the holidays.

Health Goals:

1. Calories 1,400 or less M,T,W,F & Sun. Thanksgiving dinners on Thursday and Saturday will be cheat meals, otherwise on-plan.
2. 100 oz of water.
3. 5 hours of exercise.
4. Protein 25% or higher.
5. Calorie deficit of 3,500.

Other goals:

1. Finish Christmas and Wish Lists, must be done by BF!!!
2. Write Christmas letter, or at least start it.
3. Start present wrapping.
4. Make gingerbread dough.
5. Housework 1 hour daily + 2 loads of laundry, taking FSS off.
6. Deal with flower pots.
7. Sort through coupon binder.
8. Schedule Christmas picture.

I'm off and running now. Thanks for getting this started Quinn.

I didn't mean to skip anyone, we must all have been posting at the same time, because when I started my post there were only 3 up!

Last edited by almeeker; 11-21-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.