Notices

protein

Old 11-19-2011, 05:20 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy protein

I have a question. I am in the process of trying to lose weight while building muscle. I know that the only real way to lose weight is to eat less and move more. however I also know that if my diet is relatively clean and I am getting between 220 and 250 grams of protein this may be to much for a 206lb man. Whenever I am on a staycation I work out daily I lift for an hour and do cardio for 35-45 minutes every day. This week I gained 1.6lbs. Am i getting to much protein? my fat to protein to carbs is abou 30%,32% and 28% . At this point on most days my calories don't exceed 3100. I just read that .6 to .8 grams is the recommended amount for a physically active male. at .8 I would only need about 167 grams of protein a day. But when you look in the bodybuilding mags they all say 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. i know they are trying to sell there protein powders and bars and supplements but which ratio should I follow.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:45 AM
FitDay Member

Your fine, maybe a little on the high side for an hour workout a day, but fine in any case. What really matters is your lean body mass, not your overall body weight, since people can vary widely on how much lifting they've done. You should be eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM per day in any workout regimen, 1.5 g if your lifting pretty hard, and all the way up to 2 g or more if your a full on body builder (3 hours a day in the gym type).

I dont know how lean or tall you are, but most regular guys at 5' 10" and your weight might be 25-30% body fat if you don't have a history of heavy lifting. So this would translate to 145 to 155 lbs LBM. So you'd want to be eating right around 220 grams at 1.5x if your hitting the weights fairly hard.

To your point about advertising, very true, don't get caught up like lots of guys do thinking eating more protein builds more muscle, the work does that, not the food, 200-220 is plenty for an hour workout.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Default protein

i am 6'-1" tall and have a 36" waist with a little help from a belt. I started out real slow with lifting and cardio due to a l5 disc issue. I was about 254 back in feb and now i am at 206.6. I was just dieiting measuring my portions and working out portions but once I got down in the 200"s i decided to up the anty and bump up my protein intake. This week i was on vaca and decided to push the weights and up the protein. My body fat % is between 10-15% at this point. I just wanted to get healthy for my family. But during the process i ralized how much I enjoy lifting and working out. My goal now is to get a 6 pack for next summer . i just want to be sure that I am not overdoing it and wasting valuable protein or actuially adding weight by getting to much protein.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:42 PM
FitDay Member

Wow, that's fantastic, way to go. You're doing great.

Interestingly, you and I have exactly the same LBM then! (I'm 4 inches shorter than you though). I started at 267 and got down to 204 two years ago, then had surgeries, got off track and gained it back. Damn, climbing the mountain again. Just started at 266 a week ago, and weighed in at 260 today, so good start.

I did a hydrostatic weighing a month ago, and it came out 172lbs. LBM, so I'm shooting for about that in grams of protein a day. I'm also shooting for 2100 calls a day. Importantly last time I lost weight, I thought my LBM was about 150, and I had my calories and protein too low at 1700 and 120 respectively. I also was not lifting, but I know for a fact I lost muscle mass and slowed my metabolism. So new program this time. I'm doing an hour to an hour and a half of low intensity elliptical a day to burn cals., and an hour of lifting pretty hard about 5 times per week with a buddy spotting.

Taking a stay cation this coming week, and going to work out like a crazy man!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default protein

I understand your situation.I have been there myself as you read. It is difficult and it is hard work but I think the biggest factor is patience. we all want to look good as fast as possible but we didn"t gain the weight that fast it was a process and losing the weight is also a process. Enjoy your staycation and give it 100%. You will perservere. Everything I have done myself was to be healthier and happier for my family. looking good great as a side effect but it is not my goal. I continue to challenge myself and continue to improve wanting the 6 pack is a goal if I get there great but if I just get healthier even better that is my ultimate goal. I am way past trying to look in the mirror and impressing myself. baby steps that is how i roll now and th results will come in time.