Notices

Adding Fiber

Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

Default Adding Fiber

Besides the obvious (bran, flax, etc.) what are good ways to sneak fiber into recipes? I really enjoy making homemade granola bars for the family with no artificial ingredients and lower sugar, but I'd love to do a high fiber version similar to the Fiber One version. Any secrets as to what to throw in there?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

If I felt I had my diet under control, calorie-wise, and my family ate soups, I would add oatmeal to the soups. It's a good addition, fiber-wise, without changing the soup too much. Lentils are my favorite fiber-y food lately and I could eat them plain, hot, cold, in a salad, in a sandwich, in a soup, etc. I just had them in a soup of hamburger and onion.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:49 AM
FitDay Member

I've been making muffins with flax seed meal, vanilla protein powder and pumpkin. Oh, and what about dried apples? That might be a really yummy add to a granola bar and would add some fiber. The Mayo clinic website says that raspberries are super high in fiber. Yum, I love raspberries. What about a granola bar with a raspberry filling? I put low sugar black raspberry jam on anything that will hold still long enough for me to butter it on. Love the stuff.

As for non sweet cooking, I like to toss fresh and frozen veggies like broccoli, carrots and/or pea pods into a bunch of different dishes I make, stroganoff, casseroles, stir-fry etc etc. I usually add them for other nutrients, but they have a good amount of fiber in them.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-15-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 AM
FitDay Member

Go to the All Bran web site. They have a ton of recipes all using bran cereal.

I would bet that you could put some All-Bran directly into your granola bars and they would taste great.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Besides the obvious (bran, flax, etc.) what are good ways to sneak fiber into recipes? I really enjoy making homemade granola bars for the family with no artificial ingredients and lower sugar, but I'd love to do a high fiber version similar to the Fiber One version. Any secrets as to what to throw in there?

Did you ever come up with the new recipe? Could you post it? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

I will share if I come up with something. I've had some other projects and this slipped my mind, thanks for the bump.

Not fond of using All Bran because of the HFCS in it. Kashi Go Lean has a ton of fiber so I may try something with that in it. I just did a batch of the usual but once they're gone, maybe I'll experiment.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:18 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Cassie.

The new list I'm working on, high fiber to low calorie foods, may be of help to you.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...ed-ratios.html

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-14-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Remember I posted last week that Naturally More Peanut Butter has like 20x more fiber than broccoli? PB makes EVERYTHING better.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Remember I posted last week that Naturally More Peanut Butter has like 20x more fiber than broccoli? PB makes EVERYTHING better.

Peanut butter also has quite a bit of insect parts in it, giving it that added extra boost for protein.

I'll take my peanuts honey roasted, thank you.

But for shakes, adding to a fiber bar, peanut butter is a great idea.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:41 PM
FitDay Member

Cook with lentils or beans a couple of times per week. It's cheap and there are so many delicious options. Also, my morning oatmeal (brand-Rogers Porridge Oats) has 7.5 grams of fibre. Fibre is one of those things that I have no problem getting in every day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.