Thread: Hypothyroid
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
nrh322
FitDay Member

Hi...I'm new here...just signed up about an hour ago. Your post caught my eye. I'm a thyroid cancer survivor and struggled with Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism for years, unknowingly. I didn't find out what was wrong until I went from 155 pounds to nearly 240 pounds in less than a year. What a revelation! After a total thyroidectomy and two rounds of radiation, I finally felt "balanced." Losing the weight, however, has been a struggle. I've managed to get down to 210 pounds and have been stuck within that range for several years...partly because I was still caught in the mindset of blaming my thyroid problems for my weight. My turning point? When I asked my endocrynologist why I was struggling to lose and he said, "because you eat too much and don't get enough exercise!" Harsh...but the kick in the pants that I needed. I ended up signing myself up for a Biggest Loseresque "fat camp" out in Utah. I just came home last Friday...eleven pounds lighter but with a bad knee injury. I'm here to make sure that I keep very, very, very careful track of what I'm putting in my mouth to keep my calorie intake down while my knee heals. So....what am I trying to say? Well, everyone is different...and having thyroid problems WILL make it more difficult for you to lose weight if they aren't addressed...BUT...if you have a doctor that you trust and he gets you balanced, the problem might not be your thyroid after all.

Best wishes, Naomi
nrh322 is offline   Reply With Quote