Notices

caffeine addiction(help me)

Old 03-17-2010, 03:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default caffeine addiction(help me)

I am a coffee drinker, and I just discovered I have a problem.

A few days last week I started getting horrible headaches. It's was the worst headache pain I've ever experienced in my lifetime, and I'm usually not one to get headaches. I skipped on exercise and daily chores to lie on the couch with my eyes closed hoping the pain would go away. I took tylenol and other over the counter meds but nothing helped! FINALLY, I noticed I was only getting headaches on the days I opted for herbal tea instead of coffee, so I made a cup of coffee, drank it, and within a few mins my headache was gone... then it hit me, I'm addicted to caffeine. I don't want to have to drink coffee every morning so, I'm trying to figure out how I can get over this without having to get these terrible headaches. I thought about starting to "cut" my coffee with a little decaf and increasing the amount of decaf as time goes on.

What do you think? Any other suggestions? Help please!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

There are 2 ways to quit caffeine (or anything, really). You can go cold turkey, go through the headaches, and wait for them to end. And they will, but it will probably take several days. Drawbacks: headaches, obviously. Benefit: You will be off caffeine much quicker.

Option 2: cut back gradually. Mixing in decaf is a good way to do this, start with 25% decaf, 75% regular. Give it a week, then switch to 50/50. One more week, 75% decaf 25% regular, then finally all decaf. You may still get headaches but they'll be much less severe. You may have to stretch that out longer. Or you could start limiting the amount of coffee you have: if you normally have 3 cups, first week you have 2, then 1 1/2, then 1, etc. The benefit here is it limits the discomfort, the drawbacks are it takes much longer, and you may never get off the stuff completely.

I too am a caffeine addict, took me a long time to give up coke (the cola lol) completely. Coffee I'm not giving up-yet, though I have limited myself to no more than 2 cups a day for a while now, lately I've been doing just one cup most days, and before lunch only
Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Lizzy or you could switch to green tea (caffeinated). Much lower dose of caffeine and antioxidants. I don't usually get headaches (and everyone of course is different) if I drink green tea. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

I hope to switch to green tea when I get closer to goal weight, right now I've got enough on my plate. For me, it's not enough caffeine to keep the headaches at bay. I do enjoy a cup of tea when I have the "bored munchies", watching tv and I'm not truly hungry but my hands want something to do. Zero calorie snack food.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone! Lizzy, it's good to know that I'm not alone!

Going cold turkey is definitely not an option, those headaches completely shut me down.

I think that cutting back gradually with decaf would be the best option. Thanks for the numbers. While I LOVE green tea, I don't think it would really have the caffeine kick to keep the headaches at bay.

When it was colder outside I would drink coffee all through out the day so I would wind up drinking at least 2 pots a day! Now, that it's starting to warm up I'll have any where from 3 to 5 cups a day... which I guess is still a lot.

I'll let you know how it goes and of course any other suggestions are welcome!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
FitDay Member

Default me too!

I'm addicted to caffein as well! I can go through a 12 pack of soda in a day if I want to. I've noticed though, that the more I drink, the more depressed I feel. Right now I have too much going on with food that I can't deal with going cold turkey, but once I get used to eating less, hopefully I'll be able to kick it completely. Good luck to all of us trying to kick the habit!
Old 03-19-2010, 01:05 PM
FitDay Member

I just kicked my Diet Coke habit about 6-7 weeks ago. I was drinking 6-8+ cokes a day. The first week was BAD - I was a ranting raving bi!ch but after a week or two it was so much better. I now allow myself one coke per day but I don't crave it anymore.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Caffeine

There is nothing wrong with caffeine. In moderation it is healthy for you. Why would you not want an energy boost? It can sharpen your mind. Studies have shown it has medicinal qualities. Just cut down to a reasonable daily in-take and you can enjoy caffeine and related health benefits.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

My problem with coffee is not just the caffeine, but that I have to load it up with cream and sugar to make it taste good lol. I drink my tea black. I have cut back significantly on how much cream and sugar, and am only having 1 to 2 cups, before lunch only. Seems to be working well at this point.

Last edited by Lizzycritter; 03-20-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CATHCAMP
There is nothing wrong with caffeine. In moderation it is healthy for you. Why would you not want an energy boost? It can sharpen your mind. Studies have shown it has medicinal qualities. Just cut down to a reasonable daily in-take and you can enjoy caffeine and related health benefits.
It is true that pretty much anything is fine in moderation. My problem isn't with caffeine in general it's the addiction that bothers me. I wouldn't call any addiction a good thing or healthy in any way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.