Notices

What should I definitely stop eating to lose weight?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default What should I definitely stop eating to lose weight?

I know the obvious like cookies, candy, potato chips, etc. etc., but what are some foods I should definitely avoid?

Please give me some tips here, I really need to lose weight

~bb1997
Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

There really is no magic food besides the obvious to avoid. It's different for everyone. Avoid anything that triggers you to overeat and anything that has a low nutrient to calorie ratio. For example, you would be better off eating a piece of whole wheat bread for the nutrients and fiber, over a slice of white bread, which is essentially a nutritional wasteland, but to say "don't eat bread" doesn't tell the whole story.

Spend some time logging your food and seeing what gives you nutrition and what does not, then eliminate and replace the stuff that doesn't contribute to a healthy diet.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
FitDay Member

Okay, thanks. That's a good point, about the overeating. Whenever I eat even one peice of chocolate I go crazy and look for more. Same goes for chips and even peanuts.

Any more advice please...?

~bb1997
Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

My best advice is to read the threads on the forum and consider some of those ideas. If you have a specific question, people would be happy to help out; it's harder to give just general advice. If I had to identify general things, it would be to log everything, maintain a deficit between activities and calories (500 a day is a pound lost a week, 1000 a day is two pounds), balance your pie chart in the way that works for you, eat in a way you can maintain for the rest of your life (don't think of it as a diet that you go on and then go off), exercise regularly, drink a lot of water, make small changes each day or week and have them add up over time rather than trying to change everything at once, and get support. But you probably already knew all those.

At the end of the day, though, a lot of it is trial and error and you have to figure out what works for you personally. Like I said, if you have any specific questions, let us know, but I'm kind of stumped as to what you're looking for here.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Post up the link to your food journal so we can see what you're eating and your eating habits look like.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

I think mostly what I'm looking for is advice on what to eat and what not to eat. xD So basically I'm asking you to be my mother and tell me what not to eat
Old 11-10-2011, 01:12 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Stop eating more calories than you burn. Sorry, but at the end of the day, that's the answer. I think you know what you "should" eat and what you "shouldn't" but really, it's calories in vs. calories out. Great advice in the posts above--read through the forums and you'll get lots of specific ideas about good food choices.

Regards,
Michael
Old 11-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by butterflybabe1997
I think mostly what I'm looking for is advice on what to eat and what not to eat. xD So basically I'm asking you to be my mother and tell me what not to eat

Unfortunately, nobody here can do that for you. It's like having someone do your homework...it'll get done, but you won't learn anything, and you'll ultimately fail the test.

However, I agree that there are some people who do very well following a prescribed diet...you may want to check out some plans on the internet or diet books if you feel like you need a plan that spells out your breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Possibly Googling 1500 calorie plan (or 1400, or 1300, or whatever) might provide some answers for you.

Mike above had a good idea about posting your food journal, though; people could look at it and perhaps make suggestions about how to tweak it.

Edit... I was just on another page of FitDay and saw an ad for Biggest Loser meal plans by ediets. That might be something to check out if you want a meal plan spelled out for you. Mods, if that reference violates the rules, please remove it; I figured it was okay since it appears on this site as an ad, and technically it offers something that FitDay doesn't provide, so it's not direct competition AFAIK. Regrets if that was erroneous thinking!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 11-10-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

Okay, thanks everyone.

Also how do I post the link to my food journal? I don't really add foods on here, I use a mobile app on my iPhone.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by butterflybabe1997
Okay, thanks everyone.

Also how do I post the link to my food journal? I don't really add foods on here, I use a mobile app on my iPhone.
Click on Profile (towards the top next to over view)

Profile > Public Settings Page > Set Food Log to "Publicly Viewable" > Copy and paste the link either in your sig or in a post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.