View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

Default Junk food substitution challenge...

What do you eat that's "healthy" when you're craving really bad junk food? You know, the snacks that help keep you on the wagon. All tips and suggestions welcome.

The following recipe is for chip dip made with 0% fat Greek yogurt.

1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
2 ½ - 3 Tablespoons minced onion
1 Tablespoon dried parsley (or dill weed)
2 ½ teaspoons sugar (optional)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder

It makes a great veggie dip and is also fantastic spread on a whole grain tortilla or lettuce leaf and used to make a veggie roll-up. It's very very high in protein, so sometimes I send it in my daughter's lunch so she can dip her carrots. Getting a sandwich down that child is not easy.

When I'm craving chocolate I let myself have a "no sugar added" Kozy Shack chocolate pudding cup, which I sometimes freeze to make it more like ice cream.

My other indulgence is to take 50 calories worth of honey vanilla yogurt, spread 1/2 of it in the bottom of a bowl, sprinkle it with 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (any frozen berry could work), top it with the rest of the yogurt and sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup more blueberries. I usually let it sit for a few minutes so that the berries freeze the yogurt. I call it a frozen blueberry parfait. I've been debating making gelatto with blueberry puree, but so far I just go for the one serving parfait.

Last edited by almeeker; 03-17-2010 at 06:43 PM.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote