View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

I think it's pretty amazing that you realized just what you had done and are now more aware of how this can happen to you. Years and years ago I gave up eating after 7:00pm for a diet that I was on. Well I gave up the diet not too long after, but have stuck to the 7:00pm rule. These days my biggest weakness is breakfast, I've been known to eat it 3-4 times before lunch.

One of my biggest ah ha moments came at a funeral. My brother-in-law lost his mother 4 years ago and his dad a few months back. Both of them died from complications due to obesity. During the wake dinner I realized that my brother-in-law and his sister are adult orphans, and both of them are younger than me. My brother in law is actually 10 years younger and just the thought of not having my parents around the last ten years made me realize that I do not want to do that to my own children. And since I got started on that whole baby deal rather later in life, I needed to get myself healthy and in a hurry.

At the time of the funeral I was already dieting, with the usual sort of effort I give it every New Year. But since that day I've taken it much much farther than before, I'm getting hard core about my own health, and the health of my whole family. Of course they are treating me like a crazy person, but they do that anyway. I've made a commitment to myself to live a full, long, healthy life and I'm taking responsibility for it in a way I never imagined before. I want to meet and be close to all my grandchildren and a good majority of my great grandchildren. I want to be here on this planet until I'm good and ready to die and not one minute less.

Last edited by almeeker; 03-17-2010 at 02:11 AM.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote