Nylons .... Ugh!! >

Nylons .... Ugh!!

Community
Notices

Nylons .... Ugh!!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default Nylons .... Ugh!!

It seems not to matter if I buy them according to the pack sizing or not. They never ... ever! ... fit right. Either they are so tight that I can barely get both legs in to start them up and then the fit or they are so big that I can wear the waist clear up to my bra! WTH? Does anyone else have these issues? I am seriously considering just buying thigh highs but I really don't want my hubby to think that I am dressing sexy for work. Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

I can't remember the last time I wore nylons.

What about trouser socks? Some of them come up to the knee, so you can wear them with slacks and longer skirts.

Maybe tights would be better?

Speaking from someone who is constantly in between sizes and on whom things never fit right, if you find something that works, immediately buy as many as you can, because they will certainly discontinue it!!!

Barring either of those, I'm sure if you explained to you DH the rationale, he would understand thigh-highs. And if you bought a garter belt to go with them at home, that might just make your case a bit stronger .
Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

My mother wore thigh-highs most of her professional life - for all the reasons you mention. And although I love my mom, no one would mistake her for the office hottie!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks! I usually do wear knee high nylons with slacks but I don't wear long skirts so I unless I am going bare-legged in the summer I wear full length nylons. I did explain this to the hubby the other night and he seemed in agreement that the next time I have to buy them that the thigh highs will be the way to go. He personally hates nylons. I have to make sure that I take off the knee highs right away if I take off my pants to exchange for shorts or something. He says they just make him sick. I don't know if he would feel the same about the thigh highs or not. I think the knee high thing makes him think of those old granny tights maybe.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

I used to wear hose and heels every freakin' day to work, I'm an expert on this topic. The best place to buy nylons hands down is JC Penny. I don't know why, but their panty hose last the longest and they have lots of sizes and colors, they also have lots of samples out so you can cop a feel before you commit. I can personally vouch for the size Q2P, sheer to toe, control top, the p is for "petite" and they are the only store I've ever seen carry petite panty hose. I do believe they also carry longs/talls, given your height that's probably what you need. There is also have a really great program at Penny's (or at least they used to) where if you buy 12, the 13th pair is free, I used to buy all 13 at the same time. They have something similar with bras, but I think it's buy 6 and the 7th is free. My other advice is to wash out your hose either by hand or on the "gentle" cycle and line dry them. Dryers are very hard on hose, shrivels 'em up and makes 'em tiny and natty. I tried thigh highs once and they had sticky lines on the back side of the elastic top, which was supposed to help keep them up, apparently I'm allergic to that stuff, because I got a rash from it and for quite a while had red lines around my thighs, not pretty.

Last edited by almeeker; 11-02-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the tips Amy! Maybe next time I am in need I will go to JCPenny.

I have broken down and begun to handwash them. When it was just the knee highs I didn't care but the full length ones matter more.