View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
VitoVino
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystars View Post
I just use sweet and low for sweetener on most things. I think Sweet Grits sounds kind of strange personally though. Usually they are savory where I'm from.
I stay away from artificial sweeteners.

"Sweet Tea" to me is strange. I drink my Luzianne homemade tea with 1 packet of Stevia In The Raw for 2 quarts. That's enough sweetness.

If you've never tried your grits with a touch of brown sugar, you're missing out. I add a touch to my 1/4 cup of grits, along with 1/4 tsp. No Salt, and 2 tsp. of ICBINB Lite. It's a real treat for me and something I don't eat that often because I do add some sugar (and this is one of those non negotiable meals for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson728 View Post
Not sure where you see HFCS in agave nectar. It is high in fructose, yes, but it's definitely not the engineered stuff HFCS is. It is a natural sweetener that does not spike your blood sugar anywhere near what sugar does, as you said.
You got me. I should have said that the high fructose in agave nectar is made by the same process as HFCS. In fact, the amount of fructose in agave nectar is actually higher than in HFCS.

Since this posting I tried Agave nectar again. This stuff just plain grosses me out. It smells bad and tastes just as bad as it smells. Plus the FitDay articles on it are all over the map. One article says it's got benefits, another warns against its dangers. I'm tossing this junk in the trash.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...ve-nectar.html

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...ve-nectar.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystars View Post
Stevia's expensive.
True. And it's powerful. I added two packets (which supposedly equals 4 tsp. of sugar) to 2 quarts of brewed iced tea and it was way too sweet for me. I cut it back to 1 packet and it's pretty good, still a bit sweet. I like to add just enough to my black iced tea to take the tannin edge off. So since I'm using one packet per 2 quarts of tea, even though Stevia is expensive it goes a long way for me.

Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote