New diabetic and returning member >

New diabetic and returning member

Community
Notices

New diabetic and returning member

Old 10-29-2011, 11:36 PM
FitDay Member

Default New diabetic and returning member

I'd been on Fitday years ago, though I didn't use it a lot and I don't recall any forums then. A few days ago I was diagnosed as diabetic and it occurred to me that Fitday would be a great way to keep track of my diet, especially carbs.

I don't need to lose weight - at 120 pounds I'm at the low end of what I consider my ideal weight range. But my blood sugar is totally out of control. (I had two readings of 548 Friday.) I suspect my doctor will decide I need insulin when I see her again in two weeks, but in the meantime I'm on meds and trying to adjust diet enough to avoid those horrendous spikes in blood sugar.

If there are other diabetics on the forums, I'll be particularly interested in sharing concerns and ideas.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

Hi & welcome to the forums! That must have been scary to find out how high your sugar levels were! Wow. I'm not diabetic but I've been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. It's been a wake-up call for me to get my diet under control. Unlike you, I have weight to lose and lots of it! I've been trying to follow the Insulin-Resitance diet where you link & balance proteins and carbs. Basically you need to have 7 grams of protein for every 14 grams of carbs and no more than 30 grams of carbs every 3 hours. I'd be interested in learning about the diet that's been prescribed for you. Are you adjusting well?

- Jane
Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 PM
FitDay Member

Default Face your problems intelligently

Hi! I found this app on my iphone. This book is very interesting and easy to grasp. Check it out crucialconfrontationsapp. It helps a lot to find and implement effective ways to face difficult situation.crucial confrontation explains powerful methods to tackle crucial situation with ease.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hi and

There are quite a few people on FitDay who use FD to track carbs. If I were you, since you're interested in making contacts, I'd PM some of the recently active forum members and ask them if they'd like to start a support group:

FitDay Discussion Boards - Threads Tagged with diabetes

Personally, since this is such a critical topic, I think y'all should have your own sub forum. You may want to request that in the "Support" area.

Best wishes.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default Can offer our experience with diabetes

Hi New Diabetic,

I am new at Fitday also. Perhaps we can share info. Both my parents have had Type 2 diabetes for years, and control with diet.

My DH has dealt with first Type 2, then Type 1 diabetes since way before glucose meters. When we married he followed the standard ADA diet, experienced highs in the 300's or more at least weekly, had A1c's of 8 & 9, showed signs of neuropathy, and expected to die before 50.

In desperatlon, we finally started to track what worked & what didn't, changed food & reduced insulin needs to [I][less than half/I] of before. He now runs A1c's in the low 6's and is shooting for 5. Morning sugar is usually 80-90, and rarely exceeds 140 one hour after a meal.

I'm not sure what this forum's policies are via a vis web references. I'm happy to share our experience & help if I can. (I had fun learning a whole new way to cook!) The family eats the same diet as I don't want to meal-plan twice, and we are healthier for it.

It's a bit sad, but not unexpected, that you're facing this scary time without more help. Either send an email, or ask away. Together we can!