View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
VitoVino
FitDay Member

Now I'll chime in. First off, I'm sort of a perfectionist and I love this site, food database included. And I agree with Michael, the database is not bad at all, in fact the more one uses it the more understands HOW to use it!

About the nomenclature: As Michael pointed out, easy solution. Here's how a description could look so that one never forgets what "1 serving" is:

Broccoli Florets, Frozen, Bird's Eye (1 cup is 87 g. = 30 cal) [^ Potassium]

Yes, you can even state that broccoli is high in potassium, so when you do a search in your browser, while all your custom foods are showing, you can easily pick out the high potassium foods if that is what you're looking for. Tip.

About the food database on "other websites". Been there, done that. I don't trust them. On one popular site which has the nify calculator for recipes, every time I do a search for someone else's custom food, the information is ALWAYS wrong. So much so that I've given up, and when I need to use a recipe calculator I always create my OWN custom foods and then generate the recipe. So sharing custom foods is not always all that it's cracked up to be. Why? I know for a fact that middle school students are using those sites for their life skills classes and they are the ones who are sloppy entering data. How about that?

Sure, the database can be set up to share custom foods, and then members verify, and this is something that has been suggested numerous times. Are they working on it? I can't say but I'd be surprised if they were not. It is not easy to set up a verification process like this, be patient.

As far as custom foods "changing" I'm not sure what's going on, but perhaps these threads may help:

How to create a custom food for weight or measure

Creating a custom food based on an existing food

Finally, one thing I never forget is that FitDay on line is free. That is not to say that it should not be critiqued, however it can be done in a nicer way.

Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote