Notices

Change BMI in FitDay?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Change BMI in FitDay?

Can I change FitDay's BMI? It's not in sych with my BMI scale or the calipers and I'd really like to use Fitday to track and keep up with my changes. thx
Old 02-25-2010, 06:19 AM
fitday_jim

BMI is a simple formula based on your height and weight. If your height and weight are the same in FitDay and your scale, you should get the same value. I am not sure what you mean by calipers. Calipers are usually used to estimate body fat % not BMI.

Let me know if you have problems and I will help you figure this out.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:17 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for your answer, FitDay Jim.
I have a Tanita scale and it says that my BMI is now at 44% but here my BMI is now 36 which is a big difference. I'm confused about this difference. I was told that Tanita can get erroneous readings if you're retaining water or if you have inflammation, but the readings are always consistent.

What's your take on this, Jim? I wonder why it happens to some ppl and most importantly, which reading would you use if this was happening to you? I know it's just a 'number' however reducing my BMI is a big part of my goals. Goal #2 is to get out of the obese range. Goal #1 was or is to get out of the morbidly obese range. According to Tanita I'm still there, according to Fitday I'm out.
The calipers are a mute point now since I'm no longer going to the gym where they offered those readings. From what you've said I gather that if I choose to use the Tanita readings there is no way for me to track customized BMI readings here.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:58 PM
FitDay Member

Your scale must be wrong. BMI is a really simple formula with only two variables: your height and your weight. You put your height into FitDay when you set up your account, and it takes the weight readings you enter in your weight log to calculate your BMI.

See How to calculate bmi - formula - body mass index calculation

The good news is: you've most likely completed your first goal. Congrats!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Default Another thought...

You said your scale gives you a BMI of 44%. BMI isn't expressed in percentages. Could it be that the 44% is your body fat percentage? Many Tanita scales measure that as well.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Ah ha! Thanks for explaining the difference of the 2 readings to me~that makes sense now.