Notices

Is My Diet Carb Heavy?

Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM
FitDay Member

Default Is My Diet Carb Heavy?

whats up everyone.
I was wondering if my diet was to carb heavy. Im going to give you a sample of my eating habits:

Kashi Golden Flakes Cereal: 1.1/4th Cup

Protein Shake ( make my own shake ) The shake consists of 1 cup oats, 3 Cups of Lactaid Milk, one banana, 4 tablespoons of Naturade Vegitable Protein or Gary Null's Diet Shake, a little vanilla extract, and some honey.

Subway Turkey Sandwich (today). Usually I cook food and bring it to work with me. that will usually be some baked chicken with rice (less than half cup) and some veggies.

This is usually how things go. My hours at work can change from week to week. The shake generally holds me for a few hours without being hungry.

So far its been working but Im looking to clean it up a bit.
I look forward to your opinions and help.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Do you log your food? What did your Macro %'s come out to?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:53 PM
FitDay Member

Hey VABeachGirl.
Im new to the site. If Im looking at the right percentage its 53%. In any case can you tell me where to find the Marco percentage.
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

The pie chart right below your daily food log is your macronutrient breakdown for the food you have logged.

I'm a low carber and I log my whole carbs, (not the net value) so my % is usually around 30-35%.

If your % is working for you why do you want to lower it?

And welcome to FitDay!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

Ok. I was looking at the right percentage and it is 53%. Why do I want to change it? A few years ago I went on a vegitarian diet. this was inspired by my father (he is a vegan). At that time I also consulted with a Natural Wellness doctor. In addition to the vegan diet the doc also had me lower my carb intake. I cut out all meats, breads, potatoes, and rice. My carbs mainly came from oats and fruits.

In a way I demonized carbs. In my eyes they became bad. As I grew more comfortable with the diet I worked potatoes back into the picture. For the most part they were dangerous goods.

So now that I have got myself back on track the fear of over carbing is popping into my mind.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Quagmire,

My carbs are routinely around 50 (I try to go for 40-50%) and I seem to do just fine with the weight loss - carbs aren't the enemy, necessarily, in my mind. If you're cutting out refined grains (white pasta, white rice, etc.) and substituting whole grains, that is likely a good step if you're not aiming for a low-carb lifestyle specifically
Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by taubele
Hi Quagmire,

My carbs are routinely around 50 (I try to go for 40-50%) and I seem to do just fine with the weight loss - carbs aren't the enemy, necessarily, in my mind. If you're cutting out refined grains (white pasta, white rice, etc.) and substituting whole grains, that is likely a good step if you're not aiming for a low-carb lifestyle specifically
Couldn't have said it better...just wanted to throw my vote in with this opinion. Find out what percentage works for you, do it, and if you're healthy, don't worry about what others are doing.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 AM
FitDay Member

I really believe for weight loss it's calories that count, not what makes up those calories. Of course maintaining an even blood sugar has a lot to do with how hungry you are.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for your opinions and help. just in a little panic over the carbs. Again so far so good. I also think I turn to carbs to keep me full for long periods of time. On my job its hard to say when Im going to be able to take a break. The problem Ive been been fighting with now is feeling very hungry. After a little research I found out that because of the exercise (walking,jogging,weights ) and diet combo I have created a calorie deficit. So my body is craving the lost calories. Is this true? About a week ago my hunger was out of control. Last night after I got off from work (11:30pm this week) I could have eaten a small cow. since I didnt have a small cow on hand I downed 2 clementines, a sugar cookie, and an apple. Strange but true. The sugar cookie kept calling my name.

How am I going to control my hunger?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

IMO, the best ways to control hunger are fiber, protein, and healthy fats, as they "burn off" much slower. If possible, try to have snacks that combine these, like cheese and whole grain crackers, peanut butter on an apple, some nuts, something like that. Just as an example, switch to Kashi Go Lean, which has a lot of protein and fiber, over the flakes, and you may notice a difference.

I believe that the calorie deficit is the most important thing, but I also feel that where the calories come from is also important. I can eat the same number of calories seven days in a row but depending on the proportion in my pie chart, I can feel really hungry or completely satisfied, and everywhere in between. Trial and error will show what works for you...hang in there and you will figure it out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.