Maltodextrin >

Maltodextrin

Community
Notices

Maltodextrin

Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default Maltodextrin

I am insulin resistant and at risk for becoming diabetic. That is a prime reason why I am focused on losing weight. I'm also working hard to eat foods that will keep my blood sugar stable. In the past, I've been a Crystal Light Ice Tea junkie. I assumed it was OK since it was basically zero calories. Yesterday, I looked up Maltodextrin and discovered that has a very high glycemic impact. Ugh. I had no idea. One site even likened it to "poison for diabetics."

I had no idea. Anyone know anything more about Maltodextrin or other seemingly innocent sweeteners that will negatively affect blood sugar? - Jane
Old 10-18-2011, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

I think some artificial sweeteners are ok for some diabetics but then others will react to those same ones. So I think that would be an individual thing for you but you can see how you react to them by measuring your blood sugar.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM
FitDay Member

Maltodextrin can contain gluten, so when we were a GF (gluten free) household we had to toss out anything that contained maltodextrin.

I understand that pure Maple Sugar is one of the better sweeteners for a diabetic, it has a lower GI rating than most other forms of sugar. It is also insanely expensive, but a little goes a long way.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:19 PM
FitDay Member

I'm not diabetic so I don't test my blood sugars. It might be helpful to get a kit and check anyway since I know I'm insulin resistant. It would be interesting to know if the amount of maltodextrin in things like Crystal Light is enough to actually affect blood sugar. It's super high on the glycemic chart - but is there enough of it to make a difference?

Any diabetics out there know more about this? I'd love to hear how it affects you.

Jane
Old 10-18-2011, 03:16 PM
FitDay Member

I am a type 1 diabetic (have been for 15 years.) I check my blood sugar 6 times a day, and I drink a lot of Crystal Light. I've never seen a change in my numbers due to drinking it. Maybe it's different for other people, but it's never raised my sugar levels at all.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you, Joanna. I feel better about drinking it, because I really love their iced tea!