Notices

Sickness & Recovery

Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 PM
FitDay Member

Question Sickness & Recovery

Arghhhhh. So I'm sick again. This time with a cough that seems to only surface when I'm trying to sleep or talk, and a wheeze whenever I breath deeply. I am already drinking tea, holding a rice-sock to my chest, and legit living off cough drops & Mucinex.

Does anyone have any at-home remedies?
How do you lovies fight through illnesses?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

I hope you get better soon!

If it's that weird virus going around nothing helps it! It's almost like several yucky viruses wrapped up in one.

I seldom get sick but that cough is killer. I just drink hot tea, try not to talk and took Robitussin DM (?) Max at night. The worst was not being able to run without coughing a lung up! It's been over 3 weeks and I still can't do my regular runs without coughing a little.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM
FitDay Member

I'm sorry your feeling so crappy, that really sucks. Is this something that hits you every year at this time? The only reason that I ask is that every October since I can remember I've gotten a deep chest cold that often lasted until June, turns out I'm an asthmatic triggered by an allergic reaction to dust mites and late season pollens, so my asthma is seasonal and often start with cold/flu like symptoms. What really helps me is a prescription inhaler called Pulmicort and a daily dose of Singulair. I know many of the others on this site are anti-drug if they can help it, but the quality of my life is so far improved with those 2 drugs that for me there is no question but to take them. So you might talk to your doctor about the next best course of action.

Other than that for chest congestion I highly recommend an humidifier in the bedroom along with an air filter, plenty of rest, lots of fluids, peppermint tea (peppermint is a natural cough suppressant), vitamin C (drops, capsules, tangerines, whatever) 3X daily, stay off the caffeine, big pots of chicken soup and blueberries (don't know why exactly, but mom always fed us vanilla ice cream with blueberries when we were sick). If the cough is keeping you up at night, you might try a dose of Benadryl, which will help keep the back of your throat from feeling quite so itchy and make you feel sleepy in the bargain. Good luck honey.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

I don't want to be an alarmist, but there are several confirmed cases of pertussis (whooping cough) in our school district. It starts off with very mild symptoms (runny nose, mild cough, usually little or no fever) but progresses over a few days or weeks. The wheezing sound kind of set me off. It can hang on for weeks. It's probably nothing, but keep an eye on it if the cough gets any worse.

Our immunizations from childhood fade over time and may not be effective unless you get a booster which is sometimes combined with a tetanus vaccine.

Last edited by quinnesec; 10-18-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I don't want to be an alarmist, but there are several confirmed cases of pertussis (whooping cough) in our school district. It starts off with very mild symptoms (runny nose, mild cough, usually little or no fever) but progresses over a few days or weeks. The wheezing sound kind of set me off. It can hang on for weeks. It's probably nothing, but keep an eye on it if the cough gets any worse.

Our immunizations from childhood fade over time and my not be effective unless you get a booster which is sometimes combined with a tetanus vaccine.
Interesting!

I finally checked in with my doc because I started to get nose bleeds and I had a fever for a few days. He said the virus could actually be Pertussis and that the same type of infection was being reported all the way up to the North West. I know it has hit Chicagoland. Antibiotics can't help because you don't get sick until almost 2 weeks after you caught it.

The coughing is bad but there is nothing to cough up. It all comes out the nose. You feel like you need to cough deeper but you can't breath deep enough to. It made me think I was going to pass out a few times.

The bad thing is that you don't know you have it when you are contagious and the bacteria is spread from little droplets when you sneeze (even when you cover your mouth). I was sneezing for days and thought I had some weird new allergy!

It makes me worry about the younger kids and old people.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

That news on the pertussis doesn't sound good at all.

When we aren't feeling well. Stuffy nose, coughing, etc we take a nice hot bath with a few capfuls of Johnson's Vapor Bath. It is for kids but it has a nice smell and opens the airways so you can at least fall asleep.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:01 AM
FitDay Member

Yep. I'm around my elderly mother and a newborn a lot and haven't had a booster since I was a kid, so I'm thinking about going in. And you're absolutely right... you can walk around with it for 3 weeks before you show any symptoms.

They also said that if you had it before you can get it again, which is odd. My mom had it as a child, so I was hoping that she would be immune but she's apparently not.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mhibdon
Does anyone have any at-home remedies?

Yes! It sounds like a cold. But even if not, the next time you get a cold try these two things. I've been in education, surrounded by kiddie germs, so I know what I'm talking about when fighting illness.

1) Colloidal silver
2) Oil of oregano

You'll thank me.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 PM
FitDay Member

Hey guys, quick update! I don't have the plague!! Yay! I ended up having 1. Laryngitis, 2. a Sinus infection, and 3. a Chest infection! All at once! Because I'm an over-achiever! Whoo-hoo! So now I'm on steroids, antibiotics, and hydrocodone cough syrup... Oh! And have slept 12 hours for the past 2 days! Whoo-hoo! On the plus side, I finally have my voice back! Yaaaay!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Glad you're feeling better - you overachiever, you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.