Notices

Calories, Carbs, Fat and Protein: HOW MUCH?!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Question Calories, Carbs, Fat and Protein: HOW MUCH?!

Obviously I'm an extremely new member-just joined today! But I thought I'd dive right in and start asking questions so that I could be as prepared as possible.

Recently, I saw someone posting about their diet in a manner that I've never come across. Although I don't eat a lot of calories regardless, I'm interested in the idea of "40/40/20" or any variations.

First of all, which comes first, second and third? (lol) Carbs, Protein then Fat?

Secondly, what's the best combination for someone not necessarily looking to loose a ton of weight, but simply start being healthier. Although 15lbs wouldn't really hurt, I really want to start running distances as well as eating better and living a healthier lifestyle.

Any help?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:01 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome!

This is my first post, but I've doing the nutrition thing for a while (FitDay for a little over a week).

When presented as XX/XX/XX, it does go carbs, protein, fat. I am sticking to the 40/40/20.

The ratio will depend on your activity level, and I think overall calories will be what you are looking at. If you are extremely active, 50/30/20 might be a good place to start. Your body will need the extra carbs to draw energy from, especially for a long, sustained run.

My advice would be to find the number of calories that you want to consume each day and work backwards from there. Meaning, have a number in mind, divide that into each category using the 4/4/9 ratio and see how many grams of protein you're looking at. From there, see how you can meet your protein goal first, because honestly, fats and carbs are easy to come by...protein is a little tricker. With most protein sources, you get a little fat and a little carb. So you may be surprised out how quickly those two categories can outpace protein if you're not careful....

Example:

You want to consume 1500 calories on a 50/30/20 plan.

1500 * 0.3 = 450

450/4 = 112.5g of protein

Do the same thing for fat and carbs and you'll have a good base to start from. Hope that helped and wasn't a meaningless ramble...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default Carbs/Protein/Fat ratios

I think the easiest ratio to follow and the most common is 50/30/20. It's easier to see this on a plate. Here are the basics:

1 - Carbs should make up 2/3 of what's on your plate - veggies or salad w/brown rice (1/2 C) or sweet potato - and the rest protein.
2 - Fat can come from your salad dressing and 1/2 avocado in salad, oil for stir frying veggies or a little (tsp) butter w/yogurt (2%) on sweet potato.
3 - Use a dinner plate for lunch and a salad plate for dinner with same ratio as discussed in #1.
4 - Another trick - split your biggest meal into two and eat each half 2 hrs apart to keep insulin stable which will help burn more fat and keep metabolism going.

Keep in mind that good fats will help you burn fat - I have 1/2 avocado every day in a sandwich (your liver cleanses itself w/good fats) and also satisfy you for longer. Butter is a natural food w/vitamins - as long as you keep the serving small, it will not hinder fat loss. Also keep in mind that no-fat products like yogurt have more additives so it's best to choose one like 2% b/c it hasn't been overly processed.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks to both of you. Definitely helping a lot. I want to be sure I'm not eating foods that will hinder what I'm doing physically. I generally eat 4-5 small meals per day, so this should actually be pretty easy.

How do we feel about eggs in the morning? On a general basis, I'm either eating two fried eggs in the morning (in a half tsp of butter) and a piece of whole-grain toast or oatmeal in the morning to keep me going until lunch time. Although, I've heard a negative response from eating eggs. Anyone have input?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

Your breakfast is very hearty and I wouldn't skip on the eggs. If you want to save on fat though, make it scrambled with one whole egg and one white. Eggs are very good for you and do not cause high cholesterol - it's the white carbs and processed sugars that cause high cholesterol.

Last edited by Sdufour; 02-26-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default These helped me.

I used the calculators on this website to help give me an idea on what I should be aiming for.

Free Diet Plans and Weight Loss Programs

They help to estimate how many calories you should be taking in, and also provide a idea on what would make up your macronurtrients for your diet.

I personally use a 40C/30P/30F breakdown and have gotten fantastic results with it.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

Ok, according to this 40/30/30 ratio, I eat WAY too many carbs. But when I try to eat more protein, my fat percentage skyrockets. What do you guys eat to get all this protein, without getting so much fat?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Dragonmaid_Danae
Ok, according to this 40/30/30 ratio, I eat WAY too many carbs. But when I try to eat more protein, my fat percentage skyrockets. What do you guys eat to get all this protein, without getting so much fat?
Soy protein is good! Whey protein has a little bad fat but is still the leanest meat protein you will find. If you want a slower digesting protein you could try casein. That's whey based(whey is derived from milk fyi). I have no experience with casein, but because it absorbs slowly bodybuilders drink some before bed so their bodies can use it overnight for tissue repair.

I'm a soy fan though, it actually has good fats, good cholesterol, and it's a complete protein.

If your not a powder fan, most jerky is high in protein, low in fat but high in sodium. Canned tuna is an easy one, most fatty fish is actually heart healthy. I think fish in general is good lean protein, so long as you don't soak it in butter or deep fry it. I recommend broiling with lemon pepper seasoning. I'm no cook, but I do fish, and sometimes I have to cook it myself
Old 03-13-2010, 06:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by deedsy
I really want to start running distances as well as eating better and living a healthier lifestyle.

Any help?
Running distance is just a matter of doing it! I'm a fat guy, when I started running I could barely make it out of my yard, but I ran as far as I could every other day, then walked the rest of a mile. Within one month I was running the whole mile, then walking another one. Then I started to run as much of the second mile as possible and walk the rest..about the time I hit the two mile mark I realized I could run 5, then went from 5 to 10, all in about 4 months. It's pretty amazing how fast your heart and lungs will adapt. I imagine my 5-10k calorie per day eating habit kept me big through all of that, but it's a testament to running that I can hang out with my skinny friends and do any activities they do and have them get exhausted before me

Now I'm dieting too, so lets see what a running+healthy weight combination will do.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Dragonmaid_Danae
I supplement with Whey protein powder. I will usually have a shake made with 1% milk for breakfast, and one in the afternoon (usually after I work out) with some frozen fruit. Also fish, protein bars, lots of eggs, chicken breast meat, etc.

Last edited by glenn1978; 03-15-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.