View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kathy13118
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

It's not that difficult to find a good deal on ramen noodles. Don't use the seasoning - just use the noodles. Cook and then toss with some cooked veggies and maybe a little meat (meat adds calories, compared to veggies) and sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese. A tablespoon would be a lot.

I actually have a book somewhere in my house of recipes that just use ramen noodles. My son loved them and they make a quick meal/snack (it's a 'snack' for a teenager). Pasta and rice are excellent meal stretchers. And if you look at the calories (without fat added), they are not 'fattening.' It's the hidden fats (in meats, eggs, dairy) and the not-hidden-fats (oils and butter) that add calories.

I want to give a shout out for bread, too! It's so easy to make your own and slice it thin as you want, or as thick as you want. You can make it as healthy as you want (add more fiber, more flavor, more anything) and, once you get started making bread, it also stretches meals when it adds fiber and satisfies hunger. A flavorful bread (I've made bread containing chopped olives, garlic and herbs - you can really do a lot while making bread from scratch) and a nice bowl of soup ... OMG. Yummm.
Kathy13118 is online now   Reply With Quote