Notices
View Poll Results: Why do you eat popcorn?
Mainly because it tends to be a healthy snack
27.59%
Mainly because I just like it; not really concerned with it being a healthy
72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

All things POPCORN!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up All things POPCORN!

All things popcorn and popcorn related!

I really like Orville's White Popcorn. Can anyone tell me how it compares to Fireworks White Birch?

Favorite popper: Old Westbend Hot Air Popper. Been a workhorse for many years. Only problem is, the small white kernals from Orville's explode with such violent force that they blow and scatter everywhere. So I just ordered a Nordic microwave popper.

Toppings? Any secret recipes? I just use spray butter, but now that I've gotten into popcorn like never before (finally eating healthy snacks instead of junk food) it will be interesting to see what everybody uses!

Talk it up! Let's get this thread poppin'!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

Mnnh Popcorn, I love it, gained that love from my mom (getting her an old fashioned looking air popper for Christmas).

Guilty pleasure of mine, is popping a bag of Orville's Smart Pop then melting a tablespoon of salted butter with some Splenda blended with brown sugar for a nice sweet and salty treat.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wants2loseFAT
Oh i Love popcorn with a spray of butter. Perfect for a movie night with friends. We're now playing, Fireproof.
Fireproof with Kirk Cameron? I think that movie has an excellent message. I hope you enjoy it, take something away from it.

How do you make your popcorn? I'm waiting on a microwave bowl to arrive before eating any more. The hot air popper of mine was getting dangerous with unpopped kernels flying everywhere.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
FitDay Member

Default Butter flavoured cooking spray... yeah right

So I was rather excited about the idea of using a butter flavoured booking spray on my plain air poped popcorn... what a great way to get some flavour with very low calories. I bought a cheaper brand.. it was half the price of the PAM version. And despite very generous spraying, when I tried this I couldn't taste ANYTHING! So.. was it just the brand I bought? I'm tempted to try the more expensive version.. but that means I'll now have 3 cans of the stuff in my home.. a regular... non-butter buttered flavour.. and well..you get the point.

Is it worth it to spend the money on a more expensive brand?
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:33 AM
FitDay Member

There are some butter flavoured, also barq., cajoun and dill shakers you can buy to sprinkle flavour on the popcorn. Not sure how good they are. My favourite is a mixture of sugar and salt which is likely worse than the butter! Mary
Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 AM
FitDay Member

Mmmmmm Mary, your favorite sounds like kettle corn.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not big on popcorn but I will get single serve kettle or butter bags sometimes.

X2 on what Kumochi said. I tried the butter one and it was pretty good.

I have an air popper but usually just let it pop with the top off because my dogs love popcorn and they try to catch it as it flies everywhere!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Kydilee, I use "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Spray that tastes really, really good on my hot air popcorn. 5 sprays have zero calories and only 15 mg. sodium; I typically use 75 sprays on 3 Tablespoons of popcorn which amounts to zero calories, 225 mg. of Na. Not bad. A 12 ounce container will easily last you for 2 pounds of unpopped popcorn.

I know that the calories MUST come out to more than "zero" but I'm only using the Nutrition Facts they supply on the bottle.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default Nutritional Yeast

I just started using nutritional yeast on the air popped popcorn. It sticks to the corn when you use a mister, gently spraying the popcorn with olive oil.

Did you know that nutritional yeast not only tastes good, like a cheesy flavor, but it's also a great complete protein source?

And popcorn is a great source of FIBER. So the combination of air popped popcorn and nutritional yeast is a hard one to beat for a truly healthy snack.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Talking My favorite popcorn

I air pop my popcorn (I buy little specialty popcorn kernels when I see them, so now I have a collection in my cabinet, and use whatever). Then I like to sprinkle a tiny bit of hot olive oil, salt, and nutritional yeast. The nutritional yeast gives it a bit of a low-calorie nutty/cheesy flavor, while providing B12 (I try not to eat much meat and no dairy, so this is important for me). Plus, it's a complete protein- it contains all of the essential amino acids. And it's yummy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.