Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Anybody NOT eating Soy products because... >

Anybody NOT eating Soy products because...

Community
Notices

Anybody NOT eating Soy products because...

Old 10-08-2011, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

It is perturbing, but I get a little impatient with those who have an axe to grind when they say,"studies show otherwise", but don't follow up with any data. Bt toxin is used by organic farmers. I presume the results are the same (the toxin splits open their stomachs and kills them!). In the absence of any other information, I'm not sure what the difference is.... Think I'll keep on eating my edamame for now...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I take it back. Went to the link, read the details (they had lots), will try to modify diet to avoid GMO foods...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:50 AM
FitDay Member

Hi
Just wanted to add a few easy organic switches if anyone cared.
I know it can be expensive and I totally understand that we can't change everything at once!

Swap sugar to organic cane sugar for tea and coffee keep using white for baking ect.

Shop farmers markets whenever possible.

Price check you may be surprised organics do not last as long on the shelf so sales happen often at grocery stores.

Look for no name brand organics I know Canadian Superstore and I believe Sobeys in the USA both carry them.

Buy apples, celery, berries, peaches, nectarines, spinach, grapes, peppers, lettuce, kale, coffee and meat(if possible) these foods have been found to have the most pesticides you can not wash off.

Do not waste your money buying Onions, Pineapple, Avocado Asparagus, Sweet peas, Mango, Eggplant, Cantaloupe (domestic) Kiwi, Cabbage, Watermelon, Sweet Potatoes, Grapefruit or Mushrooms they can all be washed well and you are good to go.

VitoVino and Kohsamui thanks for doing some reading it's amazing what we do not know about our food so education is the key then you can make up your own minds. My hubby was not going to change his eating based on some documentaries then he found non gmo organic potato chips taste better than regular ones; we are all motivated by different things.

Take care.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kohsamui
Well, I take it back. Went to the link, read the details (they had lots), will try to modify diet to avoid GMO foods...

I'm glad you spotted that. Because yeah, the article does say that it's something like 5000 times stronger in GMO foods, and it can't be "washed away". Anyway, I'm still eating my soy nuts (regular) until I can find organic soy nuts. Just in moderation, as in everything.

Originally Posted by dar n
Hi
Just wanted to add a few easy organic switches if anyone cared.
I know it can be expensive and I totally understand that we can't change everything at once!

Swap sugar to organic cane sugar for tea and coffee keep using white for baking ect.

Shop farmers markets whenever possible.

Price check you may be surprised organics do not last as long on the shelf so sales happen often at grocery stores.

Look for no name brand organics I know Canadian Superstore and I believe Sobeys in the USA both carry them.

Buy apples, celery, berries, peaches, nectarines, spinach, grapes, peppers, lettuce, kale, coffee and meat(if possible) these foods have been found to have the most pesticides you can not wash off.

Do not waste your money buying Onions, Pineapple, Avocado Asparagus, Sweet peas, Mango, Eggplant, Cantaloupe (domestic) Kiwi, Cabbage, Watermelon, Sweet Potatoes, Grapefruit or Mushrooms they can all be washed well and you are good to go.

VitoVino and Kohsamui thanks for doing some reading it's amazing what we do not know about our food so education is the key then you can make up your own minds. My hubby was not going to change his eating based on some documentaries then he found non gmo organic potato chips taste better than regular ones; we are all motivated by different things.

Take care.

Thank you for all the helpful tips! Great advice.

Funny about the potato chips. I've read on line that people who are eating non GMO popcorn swear it tastes better. I didn't really know what to think about this, but it's been repeated over and over. I guess there's something to it!

Last edited by VitoVino; 10-08-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:05 PM
FitDay Member

Edamame is one of the best 'diet' foods I've found so far. Sam's Club has a big package of little steamer packs that are 150 calories each and really make anything I add them to more filling. The only tedious thing is taking them out of the inedible pods.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

You can buy them in just the bean form. I pay about $2.50 for a frozen 16oz bag in the regular food store. I add them to everything, even egg whites.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
You can buy them in just the bean form. I pay about $2.50 for a frozen 16oz bag in the regular food store. I add them to everything, even egg whites.
I may try to find them. They're a really good price at Sam's club though.