View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

Nope, I'm not doing Atkins, I'm too close to being a vegetarian for that one LOL! In fact I was a vegetarian through most of college, then I found out (the hard way) that I don't absorb enough iron from plant sources to keep my hemoglobin in the normal range. So I have to eat some red meat every week just to get sufficient iron in my blood stream, doctor's orders.

Technically I'm not "dieting", I'm "wellnessing". My brother introduced me to a program that he is doing at work called "The 5-10-15-20 Wellness Challenge". I take it a step farther and added 25 beyond that. Basically it's a minimum of 5 fruits and veggies a day (I usually get around 10), 10,000 steps on a pedometer every day, 15 minutes of strengthening exercises every day (and around 1,500 calories if you're overweight), and for 20, 2,000 of your 10,000 steps have to be aerobic. The 25 I've added is 2,500 calories of burn in exercise per week. On top of that I do fitday.com everyday. And as you know lots of fruits and veggies have carbs, so I have to limit my grains just to keep my carbs below 50%. I aim for 45% give or take. Limiting grains for me isn't really a big deal, we we're a gluten-free household for 4 years.

I like the sound of that eggplant dish, I'll have to give that one a whack. I've never grown eggplant before, but I'm going to try it this year. My zucchini haters will eat zucchini, but only under duress. But there is no disguising it beyond recognition, my daughter can pick out the flavor of zucchini when it's been pureed and added to chili. Seriously, she's 6 and wants to be a chef. As far as I can tell, her taste buds are up to the challenge.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote