Notices

Anybody NOT eating Soy products because...

Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM
FitDay Member

Question Anybody NOT eating Soy products because...

... they've read about how "bad" soy is?

I've read a lot of negative stuff about soy lately, and I was almost moved to throwing my 12 ounce container of soy nuts in the trash. But I LOVE soy nuts in with my yogurt, and it's a great source of protein.

Is soy really that bad or is there a lot of hype out there about it? I really want your opinions on this. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 PM
FitDay Member

well i kinda take the 'precautions' about soy with a grain of salt, heh. More than one study that supposedly shows disadvantages of soy were done by the milk council....so ya know big huge bias there.

i tend to think plant based proteins are some of the healthiest one can consume. Many asian cultures esp the Japanese have considerable amounts of soy in their diet and they are some pretty healthy people as a population. You also just don't hear about the billions of people in asia having soy-related health problems...a food that has been consumed en masse for multiple generations.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks. I wasn't aware of these studies by the milk council. I'm very new to eating healthy and just now learning a lot of new things. Heck, I wasn't even aware of frozen peaches until yesterday.

Anyway, it's statements like this that make me cautious...

"Additionally 99% a very large percentage of soy is genetically modified and it also has one of the highest percentages contamination by pesticides of any of our foods."

This is from an article I copied from a site claiming it is "The World's #1 Natural Health Website". I won't post the link to the article because it's difficult to view without a pesky registration to fill out first.

So these are the kinds of claims I'm reading that makes me wonder if it's hype or proven fact. It seems to be widespread across the internet. The most common one being that soy products increase the amount of estrogen in men.

Sometimes its tough to know what to believe these days with all of the marketing lies and deception we constantly encounter.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Don't you love popcorn? You know most of the corn grown here is genetically modified too.

GM is just taking away or adding a "gene". I wonder if people are confusing GM with mutation breeding. They used radiation and chemicals for that.

I don't know where that 99% came from but I doubt it's that's high.

And X2 on what ripemango said.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Ditto on the genetic modification - does that just mean that it was bred for specific gene selectivity? A *lot* of crops are genetically modified now, and it's usually for size or something fairly innocuous like that. That statement reads as inflammatory, lacking in detail, and grammatically incorrect (while I'm not a grammar Nazi, it's always suspect to me on "scientific" websites where there's bad grammar and/or spelling). It's also suspect when they quote something like 99% and don't give their source material for it - where's the study that says so?

Further, is the pesticide "contamination" in the actual soy itself, or in some kind of extract, or....? I'd want to read the article that analyzed the pesticides?

Take it with a grain of salt

Last edited by taubele; 10-05-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:42 AM
FitDay Member

Vegetarians tend to be healthy and many of them eat a lot of soy. I think if you eat it in moderation like all things it's probably safe. It's a heck of a lot better than a double cheeseburger anyway.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:00 AM
FitDay Member

I tend to stay away from soy products not because of the soy concerns, but because of the processing. Edamame and soy nuts are not highly processed like tofu and soy milk, and tempeh so from a whole foods perspective, they would be better soy choices.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

I have an interesting perspective on soy, especially on weather or not it's detrimental to a man's ability to sire children. My brother drank only soy milk for most of his childhood, until about age 14 or soy he was very allergic to cow's milk. He tolerates it now but only in limited doses. He and his wife have one child, who was conceived on their wedding night, and they cannot have any more because my SIL has a very serious heart condition.

Anyway our oldest DD is also allergic to milk so we drink soy milk almost exclusively in our house and have for the past 8 years. I'd never heard the estrogen issue on soy until one day a few years ago my SIL (DH's sister) was discussing it with us and was completely freaking out because someone had suggested she give it to her lactose intolerant son. DH and I looked at each other and burst out laughing, because believe me we have to work at "prevention" in our house. So I suppose if a man already had an extremely low sperm count he would want to limit soy just in case, otherwise I think it's a non-issue. Somehow I think if soy were a fertility issue, Asia would be less populated.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:53 PM
FitDay Member

Hi
I think with the amount of genetically modified soy and corn products in North America that we all should be making ourselves more aware of what companies like monsanto are doing to our food. Soy and corn are healthy grains, If you can go organic! If we all purchase organic local food whenever we can afford it we will continue to be in control of what is in our food and not leave such important decisions to people concerned about their bottom line not our health.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default Download a non-GMO guide for free

Originally Posted by dar n
Hi
I think with the amount of genetically modified soy and corn products in North America that we all should be making ourselves more aware of what companies like monsanto are doing to our food. Soy and corn are healthy grains, If you can go organic! If we all purchase organic local food whenever we can afford it we will continue to be in control of what is in our food and not leave such important decisions to people concerned about their bottom line not our health.

Thanks Darlene.

I've just downloaded a free PDF "Non-GMO" shopping guide:

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/N...ping-Guide.pdf

I have not found organic soy nuts yet, but I'm going to keep looking. I just switched my brand of popcorn, since I eat so much of it now, to "Fireworks" brand which is non-GMO. It can be found for a very reasonable price on Amazon.

I am concerned when I read warnings such as this about GMO:

The biotech industry is fond of bragging about their genetically modified (GM) crops that “resist pests.” This conjures up images of insects staying away from GM fields.

But resisting pests is a euphemism for contains its own pesticide. When bugs take a bite of the GM plant, the toxin from the plant splits open their stomach and kills them.

The idea that we consume that same toxic pesticide in every bite is hardly appetizing. But the biotech companies insist that the pesticide, called Bt-toxin, has a history of safe use.

Organic farmers, for example, have used solutions containing the natural form of Bt-toxin—produced from Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria—as a method of natural insect control.

Genetic engineers simply remove the gene that produces the Bt in bacteria and insert it into the DNA of corn and cotton plants. Moreover, they claim that Bt-toxin is quickly destroyed in our stomach; and even if it survived, it won’t cause reactions in humans or mammals.

Studies show otherwise."

http://sustainableweston.org/2011/09...;-in-your-gut/

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by VitoVino; 10-08-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: added link to quoted article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.