View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
desertmountain
FitDay Member

almeeker-Are you doing a specific low carb plan like Atkins? I used to do Atkins. I can't eat grains & really starchy food without gaining but I needed more veggies than was allowed on Atkins OWL.
The zucchini doesn't taste like zucchini in the lasagna so if you peeled them first the zucchini-haters wouldn't know what it was-maybe you could remove the seeds to further disguise them.
When on Atkins I came up with an eggplant lasagna recipe that's great--better than with pasta noodles IMO. If you're just watching carbs with no limit on fat, like on Atkins, you should try this instead: double the meat & cheeses; eliminate the tofu, zucchini, bullion cubes & mushrooms; & cut back on the tomatoes and onions (freaky how carby they are) from the recipe above. For the 'noodles' peel and slice 2 eggplants lengthwise, remove the seedy parts. Make sure they're even in thickness so they can brown evenly, about 1/4 inch thick. Salt and let sit for 15 minutes. Wash off the salt and pat dry. Drizzle with olive oil and lightly sprinkle parmesan cheese, salt & pepper (black, red or crushed red, all good) and bake in a single layer at 350 until lightly browned. When you use these as noodles it really beefs up the flavor and they taste like portabella mushrooms. If you slice them really, really thin & use a little more olive oil & cheese you can make fantastic 'chips' from them that are addictive and allowable on Atkins. I grow my own herbs and would often top them with some minced herbs depending on what I felt like eating: basil was my favorite but sage or oregano were also tasty.

The ppl who taught me to cook also cooked like Rachel Ray (although it was down home Southern & Texas foods) so that's how I cooked until recently. Now I'm using Fitday & measure & weigh everything compulsively.
desertmountain is offline   Reply With Quote