Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITDAY FORUMS > Newcomers
Former success story gone bad. Time to start from scratch >

Former success story gone bad. Time to start from scratch

Notices

Former success story gone bad. Time to start from scratch

Old 09-30-2011, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Former success story gone bad. Time to start from scratch

Here to begin this journey once again...

After having been obese throughout most of my teen years, I decided in 2008, right before turning 18 to shed all my extra weight and be skinny for the first time in a VERY long time. I never actually weighed myself back then, I was probably kinda scared to maybe, that maybe it might deter me. I'm estimating that I was about 300 lbs however at 5' 10".

It was a very tough few days to start, I'd gone from eating TONS of junk food, fast food, ordering out, snacking all day, etc. to now eating three meals a day at a modest 1100 calories. I drank as much water as I could stomach to keep myself full and after a few weeks it caught on and became routine. I cut out ALL soda, ALL sweets, ALL fast food. My diet actually consisted mostly of cereal for breakfast, ramen noodles or a sandwich for lunch, and either just a sandwich or a sandwich and half a pack of ramen for dinner. The weight started to fall off so easily. Within a couple months I was already wearing a hockey jersey I had bought that I could not fit into and noticed my pants getting bigger. By June/July I had gotten to about 200 lbs give or take 10 and was actually looking pretty decent. I started my first job in august at UPS which really helped me be able to tone up a bit and progress in my weight loss.

Over the next year I kept my weight in check amazingly and actually replaced some of my fat with muscles. I felt good about myself this year. In August of 2009 I met my now fiance and mother of my son. We ended up moving away together to distant family of hers from September's end and moved in with my parents on Christmas eve '09. During that time away, we were very poor and unable to buy a lot of food and I got very slim, probably down to 170 lbs or so. I kept my weight the same all through the new year. In February we found out she was pregnant and went to spend some time with her family. My confidence was never this high. I looked like a normal guy my age. I was in great shape, no belly sticking out and actually found myself to look very attractive (a big deal for me). Her family kept going on about how "hot" of a guy she brought home haha. After a few more weeks my brother got me a job working where he did, we rented our first place together, and BAM! That's where it all started and downward slump...

Obviously her being pregnant she had started to eat more and eat more "unhealthy" food. Now me working my first full time job we no longer had the time we used to to just walk around together like the "old days". Also being new at feeding ourselves, the prospect of ordering out was visited very frequently. I would buy lunch from Wawa a lot eating 10 inch hoagies, cheese steaks etc. and go out for fast food after work with my bro (he was my ride back and forth). I had put on a bit of weight probably hitting 250 by February of this year.

In February of this year (2011) I got my license and a car. This now gave me the ability to start going for fast food whenever I wanted and I sure took advantage. I ate McDonalds or taco bell constantly and began to pile on more weight. I got my weight up to an estimated 280 lbs or so....

Today September 30th, 2011 I plan to embark on another weight loss crusade to get back to looking and feeling good. I have a very tough journey ahead of me but I know somewhere in me I DO have the strength seeing as I've done this once before. I sit here typing this story, dealing with my growling stomach begging me to attack the box of doughnuts sitting in the break area, feeling like some kind of crack fiend. At this point I'm hating myself. I know I can change things this time, I know I can get back to the person I'm supposed to be.

This is the start of my story, let's hope the chapters ahead, as well as the ending are as good as I hope they are.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome to FitDay. I've been where you are a couple of times, sadly. But, luckily you've decided to take some action before the problem got even worse (and it easily does, especially as you get older).

I think you'll find that logging your calorie intake and output here on FitDay will be a big help to you. You already know how to lose the weight, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your success.

Feel free to join us over in 100 Pounds to lose, if you like. We'll also be starting another Lose 10% of your body weight challenge on 10/10 if you might be interested in participating.

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks! Yeah I used to use thedailyplate for calorie tracking but the sites gone down the pit ever since Lance Armstrong took over...

This site looks like it'll be a great fit for me though! I'm excited, it's a new day.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to the site! For me, talking about what is frustrating me or challenges I am facing with the great group of people here really helps me to stay on course for becoming healthier (thinner in the long run) but healthier overall.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks! Yeah, having people to talk to always helps!

The "lack" of food in my belly as well as all the water I've been drinking has me so cold I'm like shivering here. I really feel like a crack head in withdraw.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

Of course my company puts out free sandwiches and cookies/brownies today.... And there's TONS of them! FML! I can't break.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting yourself on track.

Personally I draw a lot of my motivation from my kids. You can tell them over and over about being healthy, but if you just do it yourself, they learn the lesson a whole lot faster. So now that you're a dad just lead by example.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

The great thing is that you can see where the curve started to turn down in your success story. You can see where you 'went off the tracks,' so to speak, so you can be on the lookout for that kind of pattern in the future. You will lose the weight!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:07 PM
FitDay Member

You're telling my story, Same experience all around - it's been a struggle most my adult life (I'm 41) I can usually take it off 260 to 190 in 6-8 months, sometimes I can keep it off for a period - but it's tough eventually I start eating the ways I know I shouldn't and treating food the wrong way...

Good Luck!