Notices

Elliptical burns ALOT of calories!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:05 PM
FitDay Member

Default Elliptical burns ALOT of calories!

Hi Ladies,
I haven't been around much latley. Kinda fell off the wagon for a bit =( But I am doing much better this week.
I have learned that I must exercise if I am going to see progress & stay motivated. So I finally got my butt back to the gym today. Finances and time have kept me from a brand new wellness center that is only minutes from my house! This week I decided, that's it! I need this, money & time be damned! LOL

I have always loved the elliptical and before I got pregnant about 2.5yrs ago, I was doing the elliptical 3 days week, barely watching what I ate and lost 14lbs pretty easily. So I headed straight to the elliptical today...and it was sooo nice! Anyhow, the machine only said I burned like 75 calories and that did not seem right, as I recall the last gym's machine saying more. So I searched the internet for calories burned on an elliptical. I found several calculators at Self.com, Healthystart.com, etc. I used 4 different ones and all said between 400-500 calories could be burned in 30 minutes! And that 600-800 could be burned in 45 mins - at my weight, which is 240. I was amazed!! What an incentive. I already love doing it, but that will certainly push me to do more!!! I just wanted to share with those of you looking for a good, productive workout. Sites also noted that exact calories will depend on using your arms, at least a moderate pace, keeping heart rate up, etc. So you can't do the minimum and burn that many calories. But, hey, I'll take it!!

Just excited and wanted to share. I hope you are all doing well.
Can't wait to get our sexy back for summer!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Elliptical not found as an activity under exercise??

Elliptical not found as an activity under exercise?? Why?

Originally Posted by Destinyschoice76
Hi Ladies,
I haven't been around much latley. Kinda fell off the wagon for a bit =( But I am doing much better this week.
I have learned that I must exercise if I am going to see progress & stay motivated. So I finally got my butt back to the gym today. Finances and time have kept me from a brand new wellness center that is only minutes from my house! This week I decided, that's it! I need this, money & time be damned! LOL

I have always loved the elliptical and before I got pregnant about 2.5yrs ago, I was doing the elliptical 3 days week, barely watching what I ate and lost 14lbs pretty easily. So I headed straight to the elliptical today...and it was sooo nice! Anyhow, the machine only said I burned like 75 calories and that did not seem right, as I recall the last gym's machine saying more. So I searched the internet for calories burned on an elliptical. I found several calculators at Self.com, Healthystart.com, etc. I used 4 different ones and all said between 400-500 calories could be burned in 30 minutes! And that 600-800 could be burned in 45 mins - at my weight, which is 240. I was amazed!! What an incentive. I already love doing it, but that will certainly push me to do more!!! I just wanted to share with those of you looking for a good, productive workout. Sites also noted that exact calories will depend on using your arms, at least a moderate pace, keeping heart rate up, etc. So you can't do the minimum and burn that many calories. But, hey, I'll take it!!

Just excited and wanted to share. I hope you are all doing well.
Can't wait to get our sexy back for summer!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 AM
FitDay Member

I know it's NOT found! It drove me nuts. I just joined this week and searched and searched for it. I ended up using something like stair,treadmill, ergometer because the calories burned were approximately the same and it's cardio. I love the eliptical..but I think it's falled out of style at my gym. I go to a tiny neighborhood gym that is less than a mile from my house...they have one eliptical. It used to be that thing was ALWAYS busy. Now I never have to wait for it. I love it!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

I love it so much I bought myself one for Christmas. It was hilarious, I tried so many out that I didn't have to go to the gym for like 3 weeks while I was shopping and comparing. I finally settled on one I found at MC Sports, it was originally $800ish and I ended up getting it for a little under $500 on Black Friday. The funny part is that I had actually intended to buy the one in their "door buster" flier that was originally $3000 on sale for $700. But when I saw it I was like "Holy giant whales batman, where we gonna put that monster?" It was no lie 12' long, 4' wide and maybe 6' tall, and it had a funny kick in the stride, enough to make you almost kick your butt on the upswing. We ended up with one that's about 7' long, 3' wide and 5' tall which also folds in half if you need the space. It's got a very smooth stride and doesn't have the funny kick on the upswing either. Both the husband and I love it. If you have even the tiniest bit of room for such a thing, I highly recommend it. I used to get to the gym 1-2 a week, now I get on the elliptical every morning and go for at least 45 minutes. Now I need to find a place to set up that stationary bike and it will be like a Biggest Loser ranch right in my own home.