Notices

Body for Life

Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
FitDay Member

Default Body for Life

Call me anal, but I like to keep the threads on topic. Since Mambo on another thread asked about my experience with Body for Life, I decided to start this thread.

Mambo: To answer your question posed in the 5-15# thread, I am in week 9 of my current 12-week challenge. Body for Life doesn't require that you track calories but in every successful challenge I've done, I used Fitday. It's just too easy to fool myself with my eating without it. In fact, with this challenge, the first 4 weeks I didn't use Fitday and I just didn't do that well with my nutrition. The exercise is great, but 75% of the results of those before and after pics are people who have been very strict with themselves.

For women a lot of the progress in fat loss doesn't show up until around the 8th week. The program is not a quick-fix program. My experience has been that if the weight comes off fast, I'm probably losing a lot of muscle and water...not good for long-term results.

As you know BFL allows for 1 free day per week. A lot of people take that as a license to really pig out. I know I did. Problem is if we consistently eat 4,000 calories every free day, results will be very slow. Calories count. If you've been strict about your portions (6 proteins, 6 carbs (not starchy ones), lots of water, and working out according to the book, you will start seeing results within the next couple of weeks. And when you start melting that fat, you will be amazed how quickly your size will shrink. Good luck, girl!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Thanks

Thanks Built. I have been keeping better track of my eating since I started using Fitday two weeks ago. I don't give myself a pig out day,since I have way too hard of a time getting back on track. I feel like I am really pushing myself at the gym trying to hit those "10's" as Phillips calls them.I am not using any of the supplements that he sells though. I really like the weight lifting, so I'm not bored and I look forward to working out. I am really hoping for the weight loss to start showing up, since I have been stuck here for years. After each of my five children this weight is where I have wound up and I am eager for some of it to go! Thanks for the encouragement. I am glad to know it has worked for you.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default BFLer

Hi! My name is Joanne and I am currently doing BFL. My first week and doing really well. I've lost 5 lbs so far and I don't officially end my first week until Saturday morning. I have completed many cycles in the past and lost almost 100 lbs. My sister also did BFL and lost a little over 100 lbs. It is very strict and requires lots of discipline. BUT...we did enjoy our free days together. We planned on what we would eat for dinner and what our dessert would be. Most days we didn't work out on our free day, but somedays depending on the meal we planned I might sneak in an hour walk.

I did not keep track of calories, but I did keep a journal and wrote down all 6 of my meals. I also like drinking the Myoplex RTD shakes, especially the chocolate ones...YUUMMMMYYY. I also make sure to drink between 3-4 liters of water.

Unfortunately, I have gained all the weight back and much more. I am due to have the Lap Band put in this summer, but my goal is to drop 64 lbs before surgery. I have lost 25.4 lbs as of today. I hope BFL will keep my focused for the next 3 months.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I too love weight training days, except the lower body days because the next day is high intensity interval training and my legs are burning and sore for the next few days. Good luck and reach your 10's.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default to joey2978

Hi Joanne, I am in my first round of BFL and am in week 8. I don't know if I am counting this week or not, since my schedule didn't allow for all the workouts this week. I haven't had lots of weight loss, but I know things are fitting a little better. I have also not used any of his products, but tried to stay close to the eating plan but also logging my calories. I know after 12 weeks, I won't be anywhere close to how the people look in his book

Congrats on the weight already lost. I am sure you will get down to where you want to be because you did this in the past and know how it works. How many cycles did you go through when you lost the initial 100 pounds?

I too really enjoy the weightlifting days. I had to laugh because yesterday was a lower body day for me and I intentionally changed what I was doing and today it hurts to walk!

Keep going, and if you need some one to complain too when your hurting (in a good way) after lifting, I'm here to sympathize!

Cathy
Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Hello 40 Years Old

Hi I would like to join the group. Im at 170lb and is working toward 135lb.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 AM
FitDay Member

Hello. Just checked our local library and they have two Body for Life. One is specific to women. Have any of you used that one? I thought I had the regular Body for Life at home but can't seem to find it. I have lost some weight already but want to tone up certain parts as I continue so I'm thinking this may be the way - I'll have to check it out
Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Tymonece, Mambo and Joanne! I will be entering my 12th week on Monday. My changes haven't been as pronounced as they were the first time I did the challenge (in 2002) but I didn't have as much weight to lose this time. I enjoy the workouts, love HIIT, and the program is simple (not easy) once you get used to it.

A couple of years ago I was really into it...went to the Champions weekend in TN, met Bill Phillips and Mike Harris, as well as a lot of nice people just like us My 20-something daughter went with me and did a challenge after that. She looked great! Now she's in grad school, busy and hasn't made it to the gym regularly. Since I work at a gym I don't have that excuse!

Tymonece, do you have the book Body-for-LIFE? If not, I hope you can get a copy. If you use fitday, I don't think you need the Success Journal but some folks love it and it does have a place where you can enter your workouts. Lastly, support is a very big part of staying with the program...it requires a lot of focus and discipline for those who are looking to drop 30 pounds in 12 weeks. I used to go to the BFL website's "guestbook" daily for support but there were so many topics on just one thread and it took a long time to read responses or questions in between people socializing.

What I enjoy at fitday is the threads are very organized by topic, and everyone respects each other's right to use their own plan. There are many good programs out there. Nobody is saying "You have to do it this way or you have failed" and the only incentive is giving and receiving support to become healthy and fit. No prizes are awarded (except a healthy, fit body!) and after 12 weeks you just move on to week 13. Losing weight isn't easy but maintaining that weight and a healthy lifestyle is the biggest challenge for me and I've proven to myself that I need a gazillion weeks of support.

Good luck to everyone as you work toward your goals!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

Geeze, I blabbed so long on that post that I missed Jancamp's post. Hi Jancamp. I've always used the original Body-for-LIFE book. I think there are some differences in that she (the female md who wrote the book for women) allows for more carbs, but I can't say for sure since I haven't read it.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 AM
FitDay Member

Question Bicep excercise- Body for Life

What are any of you doing for biceps beside regular bicep curls and hammer curls? I use free weights and am at the point where the weight for my set of 6 is heavy enough that I might only get 4 out of it, but the weight before is not heavy to feel tired after 8. Do you have any suggestions, or maybe other exercises to work biceps? There is a bicep curl machine at the gym, but it doesn't feel like it works them properly. Maybe my arms are goofy.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 AM
FitDay Member

Mambo, have you tried concentration curls or supinating biceps curls? Might want to check out the following website for some new ideas.
Biceps Exercises - Reverse Grip Barbell Curls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.