View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
RunbikeSki
FitDay Premium Member

As I said earlier, I'm not a Dr.... well actually I am, but a PhD in plant physiology, not human physiology.

One thing that has become apparent to me over the years is that as an individual we have to take charge of our own health. And sometimes that means going against Dr's orders. I love my GP to death and fortunetly she knows me well, but her superiors require her to recommend prescibing medication first before really checking into other alternatives. I have moderately elevated LDL (the bad cholesterol) but very high HDL (the good kind) and blood triglycerides that are the envy of the medical community and still she wanted to put me on lipitor to lower the LDL. I refused. Statins are intense therapies and while I am not opposed to drug therapies in general, I definately felt that lipitor was uncalled for in my case. She didn't argue with me.

If your insurance will cover it, or you have the resources, you might look into a 2nd opinion. You do not seem to be seeing eye-to-eye with your current Dr. Maybe a different person might be willing to work with you a little better. But maybe not - obviously I don't know all the details, but it does seem clear that you are not happy with the current situation.

2.5 years, 45 pounds later... 128ish pounds
RunbikeSki is offline   Reply With Quote