View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
almeeker
FitDay Member

Default Chicken Comfort with Salad and Stewed Apples

At first I thought I would like to come up with some fantastic thing to enter here, and then I thought that would be completely ridiculous when the dinner I prepared last night was a pretty decent answer without a lot of extra thinking involved.

Whoever coined the phrase "easy as pie" was an idiot, because it really doesn't get any easier than soup.

Chicken Comfort

1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (diced or cut into strips)
1 med onion diced
4-6 cups water (depending on how soupy you like it)
1 cup fresh or frozen diced carrots (give or take)
1 cup frozen corn (optional)
3-4 stalks of celery, sliced into fine crescents
5-6 new red potatos quartered (optional)
5 cubes chicken bullion
salt & pepper to taste
2 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp dill weed

Spray the bottom of a dutch oven or stock pot with cooking spray and saute chicken and onion until juices and onion are both clear (5 minutes). Then add in water, vegetables and spices and bring to a gentle boil, let simmer 10-20 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. If you need a lower carb version substitute corn and potatoes with cauliflower and green beans (or whatever veggies you want). This is also a great crock pot concoction. The whole pot runs about 1600-1700 calories and it serves 8, so like 200-225 calories for a big fat stick to your ribs dish full. Yum!!! It's also mighty good warmed up for lunch the next day.

Serve with:
A whole grain dunker (roll or slice of bread) 120 calories
A small side salad with spinach greens, tomato and balsamic vinegar 60-70 calories

Stewed apples:

4 apples, cored, peeled and finely sliced
4 apples, cored, peeled and left in 1/4" thick chunks
1 cup water
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1-2 Tbls brown sugar
1-2 tsp lemon or lime juice
1/2 cup raisins or craisins (optional)

In a sauce pan bring water and lemon (or lime) juice to a boil, add in finely sliced apples first. In a small dish mix together cinnamon and sugar, then add to apple and water mixture and bring to a boil. After finely sliced apples begin to break down and fall apart (5-10 minutes), add in larger chunks. Simmer for 10-20 minutes until larger chunks are softened and the sauce is thickened, serve warm or cold. Serves 8. 100 calories per serving.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote