View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
mecompco
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymate View Post
Hello all

First post here and thanks for reading

I am currently on a diet. Iím 185cm, 116.6kg start weight, 86kg goal weight. Currently 110.2kg.

I think Iím finding out that a little bit of information is a worse than none.

What Iím trying to figure out is what percentage of protein I should eat per day. I do cardio every day, mainly running with some swimming and exercise bike. I do weightís as well but only 1-2 week.

I am currently running on 45% protein 35% carbs and 20% fats daily.

I'm also not sure on how many calories per day I need. From all the research I do online I get incredibly different results.

Can anyone tell me what %ís I should be aiming for in my diet for weight loss?
Also whatís the best way to work out how many calories I need per day?

Thanks in advance, Jimmy.
Jimmy, welcome!

Calorie burn is, at best, an informed guess. I'd take the output from a couple different calculators, average it and try that for a starting point.

Without knowing your age, and you being more or less 6' and 256 pounds you're BMR is probably 2200 to 2500 calories. You'd add in any extra exercise to that.

1500 calories worked pretty well for me, but might be a little low for you. I like around a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat mix, but again, this might not be optimum for you (it is the mix recommended by The Zone diet). In the end, though, it really boils down to calories in vs. calories out. You need to maintain, on average, a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound a week, which is 500 calories a day. A 1000 calorie per day deficit nets you (again, on average) a two pound loss per week.

It's really up to you to tweak your eating plan and calorie intake but I'd take your best guess and put it into the FitDay calculator. Then I'd make sure to add in 8 hours of sleep to my daily activity log as many of us find that brings the daily calorie burn estimate closer to "reality".

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote