Notices

Stuck Inside

Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
FitDay Member

Default Stuck Inside

So I live in a region of the country where it is nearly impossible to exercise outside. I go for jogs in the morning, but after 10am is starts heating up and gets up in the 80's-90's the rest of the day. I live in an area where there isn't a gym, so does anyone have any tips for exercising in a small space and inside with no equipment. Maybe stuff I can do while cleaning or while watching TV? Does anyone find themselves in a similar situation to mine?
Old 09-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay! Similar situation? No. 80's and 90's shouldn't confine you to your home. I live in southeast Louisiana and if I let 80's & 90's hold me back, I'd hardly ever leave. A couple days ago I did a half marathon (in Va Beach) and I was ecstatic to see that it was only in the low 80's.

IMO I would never try to execise while watching TV. Maybe if you have a treadmill in front of the TV but most people relax (sit or lay down) when watching TV. I wouldn't expect any workout to be very productive during that time. I think a workout should be important enough to get someones undecided attention. Maybe that's just me though.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sarahnevin
So I live in a region of the country where it is nearly impossible to exercise outside. I go for jogs in the morning, but after 10am is starts heating up and gets up in the 80's-90's the rest of the day. I live in an area where there isn't a gym, so does anyone have any tips for exercising in a small space and inside with no equipment. Maybe stuff I can do while cleaning or while watching TV? Does anyone find themselves in a similar situation to mine?
Even though I ran poorly in hot weather, 80-90 was not enough to keep me from running in the heat.
Humidity, on the other hand, is the deal-breaker.

This is not counting if you have a medical condition or taking medication that makes you sensitive to the heat.

Check out Bodyweight Culture for ideas for exercising indoors. It's free to register(I'm a member there) and they don't spam you. You do need to be a member to access all the forums where the good stuff is.

Be aware that some of the members have a "hardcore, hard ass" mentality. Ignore them.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM
FitDay Member

Default Exercise indoors

One thing that I do while folding my laundry is make sure to place the basket on the floor and then do a squat to pick up each peice of clothing. Doing it one at a time, depending on how much laundry you have can result in quite a few squats for the day. Just one idea. Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

In the winter, when it's really cold and snow, I can't run out side. I do a cardio video, or circuit work out on DVD. Most of the DVD don't need much equipment, just a couple of dump bell, you good to go.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM
FitDay Member

Jump rope.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
FitDay Member

Two years ago I might have come on here with the same question, only 90 degrees wouldn't keep me in, it's our 3 young children that keep me home bound. So getting to the gym for me requires serious logistics, and taking a nice long aerobic walk is considerably more whiney, difficult and slower with 3 little bodies in tow. So I've come to realize that my workout must be done first thing in the morning, hopefully before the kids are up. To get that done I purchased an elliptical (it was a little pricey, but much cheaper than a heart attack), some hand weights 3, 5 & 10's and a body ball. I also own a handful of workout DVD's most of them were less than $10, or you can borrow from your local library. Netflix also has a fair selection, but you have to go on-line and place them in your account. Housework is it's own workout, but if you want to make it more intense, add wrist/ankle weights. They aren't that expensive, maybe $10-15/pair or you can make your own out of sand, ziploc baggies and gym socks. I also do lunges with the vacuum and yoga poses to get stuff out from underneath the sofa. Oh and one other thing that keeps me hopping with the house-work-out is loud fast music, usually with headphones pumping it straight into my brain.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
yoga poses to get stuff out from underneath the sofa.
i LOVE that. lol

my suggestion is to crank the music on your stereo and really dance, move, throw yourself into, belt out the tunes. you'd be surprised how sweaty and outta breath you can get while having a blast.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 PM
FitDay Member

80-90 degree weather is heaven to be in. The humidity sucks though. If your house bound- try cleaning house in a pair of 3 inch high heels. Your calves and thighs get really defined and sexy looking. And dance to the music-whether its from the radio, CDs, or one of the music channels that seem to take up so many of the channels on cable. house. If you have stairs- I would highly recommend going up and down them 3-4 times several times a day in addition to the normal traipsing up and down you do during the day.

I will definately add the wrist and ankle weights while I do my daily routine around the house.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Amazon.com: Blast Away the Pounds - Indoor Walk: Denise Austin: Movies & TV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.