Notices

Weighing food

Old 03-23-2011, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Weighing food

I bought a digital food scale. I am a life-time serial dieter and believed I could eyeball my portion sizes just from past experience alone. For some reason, this time I am serious about getting the weight off and being healthy.

The scale was a smart move. I can get amounts accurate, and also discovered that I was short-changing myself by eyeballing the portion sizes.

So I have my measuring cups and spoons handy as well. Everything works together and heads me towards the goal.

I have lost forty pounds since January. I am happy with this.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

congrats on your succes! I agree, a scale is the way to go.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yup, I have my favorite Pyrex measuring cup (which I often eat from, to save washing another dish ) and an old analog food scale. I don't weigh everything, but meat, cheese and the like I always do. "Eye-balling" is OK if need be, but I agree that weighing and measuring are best.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

I weight things also. I just wish that all foods would stick to grams, for instance (might as well go that way instead of pounds and ounces, since the rest of the world goes that way) and not use cups and tbsp. I can see how you must use a cup for liquids, but for something like cooked rice, why not just have the weight instead of a cup?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

shibaluvr: I was doing the same as you - with all the "30 oz of meat is the size of a deck of cards" and "1 oz of cheese is the size of your thumb" -type estimates, I thought I was logging my portions correctly, but I was definitely short-changing myself as well. My digital kitchen scale is the best $20 I have ever spent! Now I can either eat more, or log the smaller amount properly...and it also keeps me from lying to myself about too large portion sizes! I would definitely recommend a scale to anyone on fitday who hasn't tried one yet!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I have been weighing food for a long time. I took all the cups,Tsp and such and converted all food I eat to a weight in grams. The only measuring device is my scale. easy....
Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 PM
FitDay Member

Weighing food scale helps a lot..
its shows great advantages of it.
i liked the points u have shared.
hope it would also help me..
thanks..

Please do not spam our site.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 07-11-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: removed spam
Old 07-10-2011, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

I also use a digital scale for weighing foods. It has really helped me to understand the quantities of food that I eat. Just guessing is not the best for me, as I normally guess way under what the actual weight is.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 PM
FitDay Member

Default loose weight

There are many exercises and pills to loose weight but loosing weight in a real sense doesn't mean that you should stop eating but it actually means to take food on a right time and up to real quantity don't over weight your meal. Definitely you will see some positive results.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Digital scales are a must have

I just got a digital scale for weighing food. I really like it. It replaces an ancient, mechanical one (plus or minus about 1/2 pound). The first time I used it, it saved me 200 calories. Instead of weighing a potato, I would have just entered "one potato" into my food log. That would have been off by 50%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.