Community
Notices

Weighing Tips

Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

Question Weighing Tips

I need advice: I have been weighting myself for the last 3 weeks and have been losing wieght. My husband told me today that I had to put the scale on a flat surface to use it. My questions is: Since I have been doing it this way for forever, do I need to change now? Can't I continue to weight myself the same way....as long as I am consistant. If I change the way I wieght myself, then my loss/gain will not be the same. Any advice?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

You may be consistent, but you may not be accurate.

If you start now doing it the new way, you will have your best chance at being consistent and accurate both. Your loss/gain is what it is; you have to decide if you want the most accurate number or not. Said differently, if you have a loss that's due to the surface on which you place your scale, it's not really a loss, is it?

What is your scale on that it's not a flat surface?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:10 AM
FitDay Member

I have been placing the scale on the bath mat in front of the sink...not on the bare floor. He said it makes a difference.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cam773
I have been placing the scale on the bath mat in front of the sink...not on the bare floor. He said it makes a difference.
Have you checked your weight both ways? Does it make a difference? If so, bare floor would be more accurate.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

It depends on the type of scale you have, but with some types of scales, they are sensitive to the foot pads being on a hard object, as well as if you are standing with your feet in the precise spot where they are supposed to be because of the way that springs compress inside the scale to measure weight.

If you place this type of scale on carpet, the bottom center of the scale will "bottom-out" on the carpet, taking weight off the scale's foot pads (and thus the springs inside) and disturbing the accuracy.

A good digital scale shouldn't do this, but I would do what Cassie suggests - try both ways, and see if there is a difference. If there is, the type of scale you have requires the flat floor
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 PM
FitDay Member

Default weight loss

As per my opinion weight loss can be achieved only by doing some of the hard work exercises and also doing yoga on a daily basis will result in a positive way.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 PM
FitDay Member

Default Scale

If it were me I would want to be consistent and accurate. Since you're only 3 weeks in, now could be as good as time as any to switch over. Don't you want to know what your true weight is? It's up to you.

Sheri

Originally Posted by cam773
I need advice: I have been weighting myself for the last 3 weeks and have been losing wieght. My husband told me today that I had to put the scale on a flat surface to use it. My questions is: Since I have been doing it this way for forever, do I need to change now? Can't I continue to weight myself the same way....as long as I am consistant. If I change the way I wieght myself, then my loss/gain will not be the same. Any advice?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wants2loseFAT
It should be on a flat surface to get an accurate figure. I agree with them, do it on a bare floor. Putting it on a mat may cause slight difference. We want accuracy in our weigh ins.

Not me! I want my scale to lie to me!

Lol, I just lost 4 pounds on my bathmat!

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 09-08-2011 at 12:21 AM.