Notices

Walking

Old 09-04-2011, 07:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default Walking

My goal is to get a pedametor this week and start off with 2500 clicks a day which is 2.5 miles a day and work my way up to 5000 clicks a day, which is what weight watchers recommends and my friend did it and lost a lot of weight. That and I'm doing some low impact aerobics. I have a stalled metabolism and don't seem to be losing much weight with cal. in and out and eat healthy. No sugar and no processed food. Started at 130 and at 128.5 in a week. I am really out of shape, been on disability for 9 years and real inactive. To you think I am starting off to strong? aerobics only every other day.

Advice please Goal of 115 by 10/26.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 AM
FitDay Member

Starting off with aerobics every other day is fine, you need time to build your fitness. Start with about 15-20 minutes a day while you find out how much you can handle.

Which pedometer are you getting? A strictly mechanical one is not very accurate as a small variation in stride length can throw it off by quite a bit.

Your estimate is assuming a 5 foot stride which is quite long and more of a running stride length.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Pedometer advise

I have no idea which pedometer to get. Can you be more specific in your recommendation? I plan on walking with it. And are you saying I should work my way up to walking? Thanks for your advice.

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Starting off with aerobics every other day is fine, you need time to build your fitness. Start with about 15-20 minutes a day while you find out how much you can handle.

Which pedometer are you getting? A strictly mechanical one is not very accurate as a small variation in stride length can throw it off by quite a bit.

Your estimate is assuming a 5 foot stride which is quite long and more of a running stride length.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:30 AM
FitDay Member

I used an Omron when I first got started. 2,500 steps/day is very easy to get to. Eventually you should shoot for 10,000 steps/day.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Walking won't be so stressful as to be a worry. Do as you feel.

Garmin and Timex both make watch type GPS recievers with a heart rate monitor included.
Somewhat pricey, though.
I use a Garmin 305 Forerunner(138.00 on Amazon) as a bike computer.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the great advice and I'll take it. I really need to increase my excercise level if I want to reach my goal of 115. You are on a role, keep going! You'll be at your goal weight soon!

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Walking won't be so stressful as to be a worry. Do as you feel.

Garmin and Timex both make watch type GPS recievers with a heart rate monitor included.
Somewhat pricey, though.
I use a Garmin 305 Forerunner(138.00 on Amazon) as a bike computer.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

Interesting, I have always walked for measures of time, and not distance.

It is interesting how different people look at things differently.

I have been a walker for quite some time now, in fact don't even own a vehicle,but I do, however use mass transportation.

Yesterday, I walked for 3 hours 10 minutes and had a backpack with 8 lbs of water in it.

At the end of the first hour, there was an immense hill that I climbed for about 30 minutes or so.

As a reccomendation for you,why not start with 2 slow 30 minute segments per day, and if you feel you can do more, either pick up the pace or add more time.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Walking with time

That's interesting that you should suggest that way of walking. That is how i was originally going to do it. A friend of mine joined weight watchers and she lost a lot of weight counting steps and making step goals. That's where I got the idea. But what you say makes sense especially for starters and cheaper too. I did go on a 2.5 hr hike a couple weeks ago to some beautiful waterfuls and really enjoyed it. It was hard to walk in the beginning but then I got used to it, so the same with walking I expect. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by jackdup
Interesting, I have always walked for measures of time, and not distance.

It is interesting how different people look at things differently.

I have been a walker for quite some time now, in fact don't even own a vehicle,but I do, however use mass transportation.

Yesterday, I walked for 3 hours 10 minutes and had a backpack with 8 lbs of water in it.

At the end of the first hour, there was an immense hill that I climbed for about 30 minutes or so.

As a reccomendation for you,why not start with 2 slow 30 minute segments per day, and if you feel you can do more, either pick up the pace or add more time.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default forrunner 305

Thanks for the info on Amazon I did check out the Forrunner 305 with heart monitor, you're right a little pricey. I will have to save for one. But I definitely want one, I think it will help motivate me. Does it help motivate you? In the mean time I will work toward 1/2 hr twice a day. They say walking adds up even if you split it apart don't they? That and aerobics with an exercise tube should kick start my metabolism don't you think? Hope all is well with you.

Originally Posted by almeeker
I used an Omron when I first got started. 2,500 steps/day is very easy to get to. Eventually you should shoot for 10,000 steps/day.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
FitDay Member

Hello it is a real pleasure to meet you all hope that we can bring something special in our life through this forum.
well you should continue your hard work.do exercise daily and properly and pay attention to your diet as well.best of luck.
nice to be here... Glad to meet you all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.