Notices

What Core & Ab exercises do you use

Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default What Core & Ab exercises do you use

I need to strengthen my core and am really out of shape. Are the core muscles the same as abs? Can you recommend some good exercises that target the core muscles? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Core includes abs, but also back and obliques (your sides). I guarantee Pilates will kick your butt in that area lol. I still haven't seen the changes in shape I want, I have some issues in that area thanks to my last pregnancy, but a definite change in strength and posture.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, what Lizzy said...

I do basic crunches, reverse crunches, double crunches (basic and reverse at the same time), bicycle crunches, and plank twists; that's all I can remember right now. I am working on side planks but I can only do about ten in a row because they are really hard for me. Pushups and plank stuff (like plank rows) also work your core. I have used Pilates too and did notice a difference. I am finally seeing some abs so it is worth the pain !

You can probably get pics on how to do any you're not familiar with from Google, or from an exercise book.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Add scissor kicks (legs up, laying on back, scissor legs back and forth over and under each other) and pelvic lifts (lie on back, knees up, cross one ankle over opposite knee, lift pelvis up for however many reps, not letting your bottom touch the mat in between reps; then do opposite leg over).
Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much cjohnson728 & Lizzycritter. I've begun slowly incorporating some of these core/ab exercises into my daily workouts. I googled the names of those cjohnson728 to find out how to do them. You Tube and some websites even have videos.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM
FitDay Member

everything cjohnson728 said, I would add

1. plank holds -hold yourself up on both elbows with your elbows, arms, and hands in front of you on the floor, arms bent at elbows - keep your body from head to feet as straight as possible. Start with 30 seconds or whatever you can do - work up to 2-3 minutes.
2. leg holds (variations also called lying leg lifts) - lie on your back, arms palms down on floor or mat, don't arch your back, raise your legs 6-12 inches and hold for 15 seconds for each repetition. Gradually increase repetitions. Works lower abs - the bottom two of the six pack.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:07 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sdh1230528
Works lower abs - the bottom two of the six pack.
Uhhh, that would be the bottom of my 2 liter I guess.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default other core work suggestions

Back extensions: Back Extensions

or with a ball:
Back Exercises - Back Extensions on the Ball

Don't forget your latissimus dorsi (I think I spelled that right...?):
Back Exercises - Strength Training Exercises for the Lats and Lower Back

Dumb bell rows:
Dumbbell Rows

A strong core supports your every-day functions, improves your posture and impacts how you carry yourself. You'll have more stamina for things like long sessions at a desk, too.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Your name says it all Kimmy...You Rock! Thanks for those links and information. The About info explains the postures really well.
You make sense about why core is so important & honestly I think I keep re-injuring my lower back and shoulders b/c my core is so flabby. In the past those injuries would always prevent the continuation of the core & ab exercises that causes the injury so it has always been a vicious cycle. This time I've been starting out with reps of 3 (starting with 1 rep a day) until I can do that rep without it causing any pain and the muscles quit quivering from weakness. Core exercises that involve the shoulders - I can't manage any of the weights & the plank exercises, yet. Not sure what to do about that. But the other exercises are coming along nicely-thanks to all the information you guys have shared with me.