View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
misfit36
FitDay Member

Hannah,

Your stats actually look pretty good. We can all afford to lose some weight. If you were recently underweight, you are probably making a bad comparison and thinking you are bigger than you are.

I have suggestions, in no particular order.

Go to a good naturopath and start dealing with your depression through diet and remedies. I live in a cloudy area and have terrible trouble at times with the darkness. I bought a blue light and my naturopath has prescribed extra vitamin D and seratonin. I'm hoping this winter won't be as bad as the last few. She also has screened me for food sensitivities. Sometimes foods contribute to your mood in negative ways. Getting good exercise can help too, especially when you don't feel like it. If you can't treat the depression naturally, see your doctor. Life is too short to go around feeling depressed.

I have been motivated at times by reading other people's blogs. One I like is The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser (not sure I'm supposed to refer to other sites). I also like the testimonials at Get Into Shape Stay Fit - Meal Plans & Workout Routines To Burn Fat & Build Muscle.

I have a very stressful job too (lawyer). Tracking your caloric intake during the day is helpful. I also find that any tendencies toward feeling overwhelmed are often linked to diet. If I eat good food consistently, I feel better. If I skip a meal because I am "too busy to eat", I usually start to feel overwhelmed and am not as productive as when I eat properly.

Make sure that if you truly want to do this, that now is a good time. Sometimes we make commitments to do things when it is simply too busy a time in our lives. If we fall off the wagon early, it is harder to get on track again later. I recently hired a personal trainer to show me what to do and not to do in the gym. Now I am on my own but I have the time and motivation. A year ago, or 6 months ago, not a chance. I wouldn't have lasted a week. It's like trying to diet at Christmas. Not the wisest choice!

You can do this.
misfit36 is offline   Reply With Quote