Notices

That avocado was

Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default That avocado was

225 calories of pure pleasure.

I love to have them for a snack or for a meal.

Fat's been melting off like crazy the past couple of weeks too while I've been eating them. I don't believe they're fattening.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
FitDay Member

You spiked my interest!

Just looked up the nutritional value, and they have a lot going for them! High mono fat, high fiber, low carb, lot's of potassium, and high in vitamins.

I'll have to give this a test drive!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM
FitDay Member

Mmmm...avos rule.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 PM
FitDay Member

Yes they're very healthy. The fat makes them filling too.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default how i luv avocados let me count the ways

My favorite way of including them is to take about a 1/4 avocado, dice it and add to each bowl of mexican chicken/taco soup right b4 serving. Incredible.

If any1 is thinking of trying avocado, buy lime with it. i always cut avocado and squirt lime juice on so it doesnt turn/oxidize. the flavors of avocado and lime are very complimentary as well. after you have cut an avocado, it stores better with the pit still in place. I rub piece of lime all over the green flesh and pit and put in zip lock bag in frig.

I also enjoy having it smeared on chicken or turkey sandwich/wrap. avocados are yummy w chicken n turkey. Guacamole goes without saying, which i like in my black bean burritos.

I never eat a whole one, but since some of you do you may wanna try it in a 'milk shake'. I've always read avocados as savory but many people in south america love em pureed with milk, ice, and a little sugar.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
FitDay Member

where I come from, I only know avocado is a sweet thing. We pure it with condense milk and ice. It's sure rich.
Mmmm.
Mai
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lastri
where I come from, I only know avocado is a sweet thing. We pure it with condense milk and ice. It's sure rich.
Mmmm.
Mai
That does sound good but not really a diet food. Maybe with skim milk and sweet and low it would be ok?

Usually I just peel them, cut them up a bit and eat them with a bit of salt and pepper.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:09 PM
FitDay Member

The fats in avocado are healthy fats. I think as long as its within your calorie budget you should be ok. The only accurate way to get a calorie count for these things is if you have a food scale. I've weighed some avocado meat from one avocado and had it come out about 200 calories while other times it's closer to 300. It might be less if you cut out brown spots, etc. So in my opinion adding "one avocado" in fit day doesn't cut it. I have to weigh the meat then add it as ounces of avocado.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:47 AM
FitDay Member

I love avocado, I’m usually just adding a little lime and salt and eating them tortilla chips.

But on a recent outing for my brother’s birthday I discovered a delicious treat made with avocado, this Thai/Vietnamese restaurant and they had an avocado milkshake! It was so good, very sweet and so very refreshing.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ever try with balsamic viniger?

I love avocados too! A favorite lately is to slice up a tomato on a plate or tray and then layer a wedge/slice of avocado on top. Top with fresh chopped up basil and sprinkle balsamic viniger over the whole thing. Yum. In Texas just about anything can be served with avocado!