View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
sw07
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handcycle2005 View Post
sw07, those are good 5K times you're running off low mileage. 20:00 is quite realistic.

Once a week, do a long run. Pick a one day a week and add 1 mile every 2-3 weeks until you're up to 8-9 miles. Hold at that point, pick a day halfway between long runs and add 1 mile per week up to 6 miles.
Long run at easy pace, midweek run at steady state pace.

Intervals.

workout 1

2x1200m@current 5K race pace(5:22-5:27) jog 400m recovery in between
Jog 400m
2x800m at goal 5K race pace jog(3:10-3:15) 400m recovery in between
Jog 400m
2x 400m@ faster than goal 5K race pace(1:28-1:30)jog 400m recovery in between

workout 2

3x1000/200 combo(1000m@5K goal pace, jog 200, 200@ faster than 5Kgoal pace) 1000 in 4:00, 200 in :43-:45
Jog 600m in between

If running long Sat or Sun, do these workouts Tu/Thu.

Same long runs as above but you can add repeats to the interval workouts.

1/2 marathon

No intervals, two tempo runs per week 20-25 min. each.
1 long run per week of 10 miles or more. Preferably more if possible up to 15 at an easy pace.

Easy, steady state, tempo paces are given in the calculator I linked to above.

Good luck.

Thanks HC, I'm going to print this out and start a training routine.
It's kinda funny how I stated running to keep the my weight in check and now it's going to the next level.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunbikeSki View Post
SW that is a great time given the weather and the field. It's over 105 in the south, I am guessing that Sac is much cooler . It might be that having such a competitive field elevated your run a bit more than you realized. (Unless you found it demoralizing - which doesn't seem like you).

A 7:10 pace??? OMG I can only dream of such a thing. I believe you can sub-20, but it will take a lot of dedication and maybe a couple less races as you focus on the train regiment.

As handcycle2005 suggests, you might think about adding the intervals into your routine. (You might already be doing them, and I am just not aware of it, however).

Or you could keep on just having fun
Thanks Pam and yes it is a little cooler up here- mid to high 90's during the day and the morning temps are in the 60's, perfect AM running weather.

And yes, you're right about the elevated field competition- I felt that I did start out way too fast, but I had to get around the kids, strollers and slower zig zagging runners in order to get my comfort zone, but that never happened. I just went ballz out and kept trying to pass people
Once I hit the 3 mile mark and the last straight away was in sight, I had a an amazing foot race to the finish with a little 15yr girl and she beat me by a 1 second That's ok tho, it was fun pushing myself that hard in the 1/8 mile.

I do need to add intervals to my routine and I should cut back on the races- they're just so much fun tho....I've also got a 5k trail race this Saturday, I'm wondering what kinda of time I'll get on that race.

I also had a nice long morning run today, did 5.90 miles before work- felt great

4/26 Parkway 1/2
10/5 Urban Cow 1/2

Last edited by sw07; 08-29-2011 at 05:21 PM.
sw07 is offline   Reply With Quote