View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rubystars
FitDay Member

Default Organic Spring Mix = YUCK

I haven't really bought very many organic things but I saw a nice looking salad mix at Sam's club called Organic Spring Mix. It had some spinach and other leafy vegetables in it and I thought oh yum, looks good! It's also 20 calories per 3 oz. serving, so I thought it would be a good way to get more green leafy vegetables into my diet so I bought it.

I got it home and the first thing I noticed was the leaves were chewed up where insects had chewed them. This was kind of gross but washing them made me feel a little better about it. I then also found dead insects in the spring mix. Now in order to eat this I have to take every leaf and inspect it for bugs and then wash it (it says it's pre-washed, ready to enjoy). And looking over every leaf in a 3 oz. salad is quite a task since it takes a lot to get to 3 oz.

This has really put me off the whole 'organic' thing. I thought they had other ways to deter insects or used safer types of pesticides. I didn't realize they just let the insects go nuts and the salad would be full of chewed up leaves and bugs.
Rubystars is offline   Reply With Quote