Notices

"part of this complete breakfast"

Old 08-16-2011, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default "part of this complete breakfast"

It cracks me up when I see these commercials, but it's a shame that people probably think that "part of this complete breakfast" means that it's good for you. You can turn on the TV and see a commercial for something like Lucky Charms that says the same thing.

You may look in the background and see a glass of milk, juice, toast, eggs, whatever. Everything in the background may be the "complete" breakfast, nutrition wise. The crappy bowl of Lucky Charms is just a part of it, hell the napkin, spoon and table would also be part of it.

I think that we take too much as the truth, but even the truth can be misleading. We just have to keep our eyes open, think logically and filter out the crap information from the REAL truth. Speaking of how the truth can be misleading.... I've gripped about this in the past, so if you've read it already, I apologize. During my weight loss I had many cheat days. A good Butterfinger has always been my weakness. I've had them on occasion through this journey. I could say that I lost 40 pounds while eating Butterfingers and IT WOULD BE TRUE.... but very MISLEADING.

I had a friend come by the other day and said that he got the Shake Weight, I've never used it so I can't say if it works but I made an obvious point to him. He acted out the motion of the Shake Weight, you know the one that I'm talking about. He then claimed that it works like a 60 pound dumbbell. My next question was "I have a 50 pound dumbbell, do you want me to get it to see how well you can shake it?", as you can imagine he declined. Then he held his hand up and did the shaking motion and said that with the shake weight he can feels his arms burning and get sore. I told him that my arms get sore when my hands are above my head while installing a ceiling fan, without shaking.

So basically this was my useless rant for the day. This morning when I was eating my egg, bowl of oatmeal, drinking my glass of V8 juice, took my 2 fish oil pills and my daily vitamin I thought 'this may be close to a complete breakfast'.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

I totally agree! Cereals are horrible in their advertising. I have particular beefs with the sugary ones (Froot Loops are even advertised this way on this site) that tout themselves as a good source of fiber, and also Special K, which really pumps itself up as being the healthiest thing going, but has very little fiber or protein (except the high protein version), and uses HFCS. Many of them are like white bread...strip the nutrients out, then put them back in artificially.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:14 PM
FitDay Member

Old 08-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by scarybaldguy

perfect!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 PM
FitDay Member

Did you hear? - some idiot mother is suing Nutella because she claims they misled her into thinking the chocolate hazelnut spread was healthy. Really??
I serve my kids Nutella, but even they're smart enough to know it's not a health food!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nottango
Did you hear? - some idiot mother is suing Nutella because she claims they misled her into thinking the chocolate hazelnut spread was healthy. Really??
I serve my kids Nutella, but even they're smart enough to know it's not a health food!
I agree with you in that this is a stupid lawsuit, but I've seen the commercial and they do make the implication it's healthy. Most folks can figure it out, though!

I did read once that Justin's Chocolate Hazlenut Butter/Spread is better for you than Nutella...much less sugar. It does have healthy fats. But healthy for you? Hmm.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

The ad for Nutella is hilarious, the woman spreads it on what looks to be some sort of multi whole grain bread and says that it helps to get healthy food down her kids, the ad never comes out and says that Nutella is healthy (good thing it doesn't). Of course Nutella helps to get healthy food down your kids, a spoon full sugar helps the medicine go down too, but nobody ever talks about the side effects from the spoon full of sugar.

Don't even get me started on Kellogg's, it's a real shame that a huge company like that puts high fructose corn syrup in EVERY PRODUCT THEY MAKE. I won't buy it anymore, end of discussion. Our kids know that if it contains more than 10g of sugar per serving, it's flat out not going in the cart. Some of the General Mills cereals that appear to be quite sugary are actually not too bad. The kids actually like Kix, and some of the Cheerio flavors, Captain Crunch even makes the cut.

The other day I was at Wal-Mart on "free sample" day. They were handing out little cups of Yoplait with a tsp of granola dumped on top of it. The kids and I all took a sample, it was so sugary that none of us really cared for it. Anyway the sample lady is a friend of mine and tried to give me extra coupons, cause she knows if it's a really good coupon I'll use it. I told her, "thanks, but I don't usually buy Yoplait no matter the price, because every single one of their products contains high fructose corn syrup". But she was like "this is their NEW healthy line, blah blah blah". So she picks up the container and we read the ingredients, ta-da item 3 "high fructose corn syrup". Healthy my big white butt.

Last edited by almeeker; 08-17-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
The other day I was at Wal-Mart on "free sample" day. They were handing out little cups of Yoplait with a tsp of granola dumped on top of it. The kids and I all took a sample, it was so sugary that none of us really cared for it. Anyway the sample lady is a friend of mine and tried to give me extra coupons, cause she knows if it's a really good coupon I'll use it. I told her, "thanks, but I don't usually buy Yoplait no matter the price, because every single one of their products contains high fructose corn syrup". But she was like "this is their NEW healthy line, blah blah blah". So she picks up the container and we read the ingredients, ta-da item 3 "high fructose corn syrup". Healthy my big white butt.
I gave in the other day (I don't eat yogurt anymore) and had a Yoplait light fat free strawberry/orange yogurt and the first thing I checked was the sugar content (14g) and ingredients - yep, high fructose corn syrup was the 3rd ingredient. I started to eat it and noticed it was extremely sugary..duh 14g of sugar in a 6oz serving...yuck...so anyways, I then noticed a headache coming on...I've noticed anytime I eat anything sugary, I get this nagging headache that won't go away.
I guess that's a good thing, its one way to keep me from cheating....except I've now figured out that my morning coffee creamer is also sugary and that's probably why I've been getting these headaches that last all day. I've also found that having a beer or a glass of red at the end of the day will take the headache away....
Old 08-18-2011, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, the same goes for clothing sizes at the store. I love how no matter what size or weight I am, I can still fit into a Size 6 or 8 somewhere. Give me a break. I'm not a Size 6 at the moment so don't try and make me feel good and give me something that I know full well wouldn't fit my ass now. Only the high end designer stuff goes by an actual measurement and not some made up number. So totally annoying to me.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

How about those Pop Tart commercials? "Don't send your kids to school without a HOT breakfast..."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.