Notices

Plateau Help Needed!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Plateau Help Needed!

Last edited by PurrfectBetty; 08-19-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

Is it possible that you could do some seated exercises? Maybe that would help to burn some calories and get your weight moving again.

Oh and ..... Welcome!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 AM
FitDay Member

Last edited by PurrfectBetty; 08-19-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM
FitDay Member

You can get kidney stones if your calories drop below 800 I think. Be careful!

Also you need a certain amount of calories to survive. Plus if you're at 600 calories and you hit another plateau, you'll have nowhere to go after that unless you seriously want to go into anorexic territory (and 600 could be considered that).

You could have gained about 3 lbs if you're getting close to that 'time of month' because of fluid build up.

Try drinking enough water, trying to get at least some exercise even if it's seated (maybe try lifting some light weights like 1 or 2 lb weights to build up some muscle in your arms). If you do use the weights idea don't think heavier is better, someone on this forum told me that lighter weights cause less wear and tear on your joints.

I think plateaus eventually break on their own if you have a calorie deficit. I've been on a plateau for the last week or so and the scale finally dipped down today. Stick with what you know is a smart eating plan and try to be patient.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 AM
FitDay Member

Last edited by PurrfectBetty; 08-19-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by PurrfectBetty
Hi Rubystars!

I know how frustrating the time of month bloat can be with regards to the scale! Ugh! The thing is that Aunt Flow left a few days ago. I wasn't getting too bent out of shape about what the scale said prior to her arrival, but now that she's gone, so should the bloat. I will admit that I have not been drinking enough water lately. Could that really affect calorie usage? (I just chugged my whole water bottle for safe measure!)

Congrats on the scale dipping for you today!!! I have lost my patience (which isn't difficult to do), so even with physical limitations I may need to try the girlie weights (as I call them). Thank you for sharing your time and thoughts!

Live Well!
I think if you're dehydrated it can cause your body to hold on more to the water it does have, so that can show up as more weight. Drink a reasonable amount of water every day (don't chug 3 liters or anything at a time, that can also be unhealthy/fatal). You want to stay hydrated.

Another thing I've noticed is that processed foods that are low calorie, low fat, or low in sugar contain a lot of salt to give flavor. So try to watch your salt/sodium intake too.

Thanks for the congrats. One thing about weight loss is you need to try to be patient about it. It doesn't drop off all that quickly. It can take a year or more. The important thing is not to lose motivation during this time and to be willing to wait it out.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM
FitDay Member

Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 PM
FitDay Member

You're welcome and I hope you have an easy time losing weight If it helps your motivation you could weigh less often and you might not even know you had a plateau lol.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:03 AM
FitDay Member

Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

Rubystars is spot on with the water advice, I always tell people that it's 64 oz baseline + 8 oz for every 10 lbs you want to lose. Some people think it's bunk, but I can't lose without it, plenty of water actually helps me feel better too as my joints are less sore and achy. I also get constipated rather easily if I'm dehydrated, but that's another issue altogether.

One piece of advice that I don't see on this thread is for you to evaluate your pie chart. Every body is different, but I lose more easily if my pie chart contains less than 45-50% carbs and I keep my protein at 30% or a little higher. So you might want to take a look at that and see if you can tweek your 1250 calories/day.

Okay on to exercise. I have a bad knee too, it's been reconstructed twice, I also have the beginnings of arthritis in both knees, my right shoulder and in my neck. On top of that I'm a walking barometer, if there is a front coming through I hurt head to toe from atmospheric pressure changes. Yet I greet the day with a 60-70 minute workout, my goal is to bring on a full body sweat and keep my heart rate up for the duration. It hurts yes, but I hurt a lot more when I skip it. So a little pain in my book is part of the journey, no pain - no gain. And for the record I'm 12 years older than you, so as far as I'm concerned you need to stop making excuses for not exercising and flat out get it done. It's hard yes, it hurts yes, you'll probably have to take it in baby steps yes, but chances are this is what you need to do in order to break that plateau and keep it moving on down the scale. So consider your butt kicked off the couch, hate me if you want, but in the long run I'm right and we both know it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.