Notices

How a tablespoon of mayo changed everything

Old 03-03-2010, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Talking How a tablespoon of mayo changed everything

Tracking everything I eat and do has really helped me want to make the right choices. Today I was looking for a snack, and saw a can of tuna. Yummy! Then I thought about what I would mix with it. I thought about mayo, and grabbed the bottle from my fridge. I looked at that label on the back, and groaned. 100 calories! I looked wistfully at the mustard, and decided to see just how much mayo I would get for 100 calories. As I squeezed it into a tablespoon I realized that wasnt really going to make my tuna better, it was hardly enough. And it was 100 calories - thats alot! So I threw out that tablespoon of empty calories, and went for a forgotten jar of sweet relish, at just 20 calories a serving.

Now eating my tuna and typing this I feel REALLY good. I am proud of how I stayed in the moment and was honest with myself about what was best. I could have stuck that tablespoon of mayo in my tuna, and squeezed a bit more in for good measure, and likely derailed my diet completely. After that it would have been very easy to say I already blew it, and likely I would not have wanted to journal, and so the spiral goes out of control.

I am worth more that a fleeting taste in my mouth.

It took a tablespoon of mayo for me to really realize it.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 AM
FitDay Member

woo hoo for you. those are great moments huh? a couple other things you can do to spice up your tuna toss it with lemon juice, or a really nice baslamic vinegar yummy, but i'm sure the sweet relish was just perfect.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 AM
FitDay Member

OH Yah Woo Hoo for you. And you know that mustard also will spice up tuna. Try just a little dab to see if you like it. Might surprise you.

Maggie
Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 AM
FitDay Member

Amazon2Andes Way to go! Don't you feel empowered? I agree that its these little choices we make that leave us feeling defeated (why bother?) or in control and empowered.
Something else to try: a can of tuna (don't squeeze out all the water so its more moist) mixed with 1/4c to 1/3 c low fat cottage cheese & fat-free thousand island salad dressing along with sugar-free sweet relish and regular dill relish. I serve it on top of salad and actually like it better than a regular tuna sandwich now with way fewer calories & fat grams.
HTML Code:
I am worth more that a fleeting taste in my mouth.
I'll remember this quote!
Old 03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

Have you considered using salad dressing instead of mayo? I too like a dab of sweet relish in my tuna, but sometimes I go for a squeeze of fat-free creamy ranch dressing, which is maybe 20-40 calories depending on who makes it. I've also used fat-free sour cream and tossed in some chives for good measure. A little spritz of balsamic vinegar is also quite the bomb. Congratulations on your will power. I always think of something Oprah said years ago on her show, she said something to the effect that we make and keep promises to other people all the time, but all too often break promises we make to ourselves. So today you kept your own promise to yourself, you go girl.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Thank You All for Your Support and Ideas

Now armed with all these great ideas for tuna, and your support, the mayo is in the garbage, along with the few other temptations that were left in the fridge. Whenever I am challenged by condiments, I think about this post, and make the best decision.

Thank you for supporting me in my journey towards a healthier way of being!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 AM
FitDay Member

Kraft Free Mayo has only 10cals a tbsp. To me it tastes way better than regular mayo.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

Amazon2Andes--what a great post!!!!

You have helped others who wouldn't have thought that little bit of mayo was even worth recording. What an important moment for you, and for the rest of us.

You very carefully made a decision that will benefit you more than just in preparing tuna fish.

My discovery moment was when I found that "fat free" & "sugar free" could actually be worse for me if it meant that other chemicals were added to offset the lack of fat or sugar. Sometimes "fat free" really means "loaded with things that are worse" for me than the fat would have been. My discovery was that being careful about the fat and calories, includes being careful that I am not consuming something else instead. I must know what the ingredients really are before I will ask my body to deal with them. A little touch of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (measured & counted) is better for me than any amount of Franken-dressing.

Great Job, and what an inspiration you are!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

LOL at Franken-dressing I'm trying some new balsamic and gourmet vinegars this week.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
FitDay Member

Love what you wrote Amazon. It puts everything in perspective!!